Mutton Paya – an exotic soupy curry made with goat trotters & few special spices. The juicy marrow & the cartilaginous joints of the goat trotters makes this Paya curry totally out of the world. The tender falling off from the bones cartilaginous & slightly chewy meat makes this goat paya an hit every single time.
And if you love sucking the juicy bone marrow from Goat Nalli just like us than this marrow laden Mutton paya curry will serve you with an insatiable meal experience. You won’t find chunky pieces of meat in this recipe, because it’s only the goat trotters that is the main ingredient here.
But, this stew like paya curry still turns out amazing & packs a punch with outrageous flavors. Perhaps it’s the juicy marrow laden hooves bones & the gelatinous & cartilaginous meaty part of the hooves that strikes a magical taste!
If you have never tried a paya recipe before or if the idea of goat trotters make you slightly squeamish than I urge you that you give this recipe a try. You may always swap the goat trotters with lamb trotters.
Some of my mutton recipes to try :
- aatukaal-chops paya-chops mutton-leg-chops-hotel-styl
|Mutton Paya/ Goat Totters/Goat Paya curry with coconut recipe|
Mutton Paya – an exotic curry made with goat trotters & few special spices.
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking time : 1 hour
Serves : 4-5 Cuisine : Indian
Onion : 1 large chopped
Tomato : 3 medium sized
Green chilly : 4 slits
Ginger garlic paste : 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder : 2 tsp
Coriander powder : 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil as needed
Cardamom : 3
Cinnamon stick : 1 inch
Cloves : 3
For Grinding :
Coconut Grated : 1.5 cups
Saunf : 1 tbsp
Kus kus : 1 tbsp
For marination :
Mutton paya/trotters : 10 pieces
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
salt to taste
1. clean and wash trotters. To remove smell let it marinate in turmeric powder, red chilly powder along with salt for 30 mins.
2. The heat oil in cooker. Crack cardamom, cinnamon stick and cloves
3. Saute onion, green chilly. Then add ginger garlic paste, saute till raw smell leaves. then add in chopped tomatoes, cook till mushy on medium heat.
4. Now add all spice powder, cook it till raw smell goes off. Then add in marinated goat paya/trotters. Mean time grind coconut, fennel seeds, kus kus to smooth paste. Then add in to paya curry.
5. Add in required water. pressure Cook paya/trotters for 50-60 mins on medium heat. Allow air to release by itself. serve hot with idly, dosa, idiyappam, roti, parotta etc.,
- wash and clean paya trotters. Let it marinate for 30 mins with red chilly, turmeric powder along with salt. Grind grated coconut with fennel seeds, kus kus to smooth paste, set aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker, crack cinnamon, cardamom, cloves. Saute chopped onion, green chilies to translucent. add ginger garlic paste, cook till raw smell leaves. Add chopped tomatoes, cook till mushy.
. Add in spice powders along with salt. Let it cook till raw smell leaves. Now add i marinated mutton trotters. Mix well. Pressure cook it for 50-60 mins on medium heat. open once its release its air naturally.
4. add coconut paste. add in required water. Pressure cook it for 50-60 mins on medium heat. open once its release its air naturally.