Ambur biryani is one of the famous biryani recipe of South India which emerged during the Nawab of Arcot’s regime. Prepared mainly in Basmati Variety of rice, both chicken and Mutton are used for this. A full plate of Biriyani with Brinjal curry (Khattay Baigan or Yennai Kathrika) and Onion Raitha (Vengayam Pachidi) makes our feast a delightful one. Such is its very delicious taste, which makes many thousands of passers by in this Golden Quadrilateral track of Chennai-Bengaluru highway to taste it.
What makes Ambur Briyani (biryani) unique?
There are two ingredients Green Chillies and Ghee, that should never be used for Ambur mutton biryani. Seeraga Samba rice is the only traditional rice used for making this Ambur mutton biryani. All the masalas are hand ground using a grindstone called ammi அம்மி for Ambur mutton biryani. They use only wood fire to cook this Ambur mutton biryani and they use DUM method of cooking. Lastly “Kai Pakkuvam” or the “gift of hand from the god”.
Even during a very heavy rain, the fire started by the chef will not fade away. Such is the gift they possess with their hands blessed from god.”
Ambur mutton biryani is very light on the stomach. Its easily digestible when compared to the other masala laden and fat laden mutton biryani.
We need to make 3 pastes. Garlic paste, ginger paste and chilli paste. Grind all the ingredients in a blender/ mixie separately to a very smooth paste. Add very little water while grinding. Set aside. These 3 paste only highlight the taste of ambur biryani. Got information thru google search.
|Mutton Biryani – Ambur Style Mutton Biryani Recipe|
Ambur mutton biryani recipe is a popular biryani made with onions, tomatoes, yogurt and spices in dum style.
Prep Time : 20 mins Cooking Time : 1 hour
Serves : 5-6 Cuisine : Indian
To cook Rice :
Seeraga samba : 500 gms
Salt to taste
Water lots to cook rice
Red chilly : 10 – 12 nos Dried one
Water to boil red chilies
Ginger paste : 2 tbsp
Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
For biryani :
Mutton : 500 gms
Oil : 1/2 cup
Cinnamon stick : 1 large stick
Cardamom : 4
Cloves : 5
onion : 1 larges thinly sliced
Tomato : 2 large chopped
Mint Leaves : 5 stalks
Coriander leaves : 5 stalks
Curd/yogurt : 1/4 cup +1 tbsp
Lemon Juice : 1 (take juice)
Salt to taste
1. Soak the rice in lots of water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add a table spoon of curd. Add in the Cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry for 10 seconds. Add in the garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
3. Fry little sliced onion first. then, add in the ginger paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes until the raw smell of the ginger goes off.
4. Add in the chili paste, mutton, the mint and coriander leaves, chopped onions, tomatoes, salt, curd and lemon juice. Add in a cup of water. I added red chilly boiled water. Mix well to combine.
5. Cover and pressure cook everything for 10-12 whistles on medium heat. swtich off the heat and wait for the pressure to release naturally.
6. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the soaked rice. Add in the salt. Cook until the rice is half done.
7. Drain the water and add the rice to the mutton pan. Mix well to combine. Put pan on very low heat for 15 mins or vessel on top of the dosa pan and allow it to cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
8. Once the dum cooking is over, open the lid and gently fluff up the rice to mix. Serve mutton biryani hot with raita andbuttermilk-roast-chicken-drumstick/
- Heat water in a pan. Add in dried red chilies, allow it to boil for 5 mins. Once cool down, transfer to mixer jar and make a paste by adding little water. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add in the Cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. Fry for 10 seconds. then add a table spoon of curd. Now add in little sliced onion .Add in the garlic paste. Fry for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. The reason for adding little curd in the oil while making this mutton biryani is that it takes away the imperfections if any in the oil.
3. Then add in coriander and mint leaves. cook it for 2-3 mins. Now add in ginger paste, mutton pieces, sliced onion and tomatoes. mix all well to combine.
4. Add in red chilly paste, curd, lemon juice along with water. I added chilly boiled water. Pressure cook it for 10-12 whistles and turn off heat. allow it release it pressure naturally.
5. In mean time boil lots of water in a pan. Add in soaked seeraga samba rice with required salt. Allow it to cook on medium heat till 50-60% cook. Then strain it and set aside.
6. Now in a pan or pot. Add in cooked rice and mutton biryani gravy. Mix well all to combine well. Close it with tight lid and put the pan/pot on low heat. cook/dum it for 15 mins. Or pot on top of the dosa pan and allow it to cook on low flame for 15 minutes. Once dum process as done. Open the lid and fluff it gently and serve hot.