I make this hot and sour soup for guest at dinner. I make this soup with simple ingredients which available in my fridge. So, make this simple, quick and easy popular Indo Chinese Recipe of Restaurant Style Hot & Sour Soup. Hot n sour soup originated from asian cuisine is prepared from meat stock with choice of vegetables.
This has lots of different flavors going on, and is a very special soup to serve your guests. The spicy hot comes from the black pepper, and the sour comes from the vinegar. If you like, you can add sprouts, tofu, mushrooms etc., whatever you like. But i added only cabbage, carrot and capsicum. All C veggies.
Indo chinese hot and sour soup is a light meal or accompaniment that can be enjoyed any time of day. Make a batch the next time you’re in need of warming up with something hot on a cold day. It’s especially welcome if you’ve got a head cold as it can really help open your sinuses.
If you order hot and sour soup at a restaurant, it will often be made with meat stock and may contain shredded or minced pork or chicken. Vegan vegetable broth or stock is a great substitution and the soup has plenty of flavor without meat. If you want to boost the protein or simply make the soup more hearty, add in some fried tofu. check my other soups egg-drop-soup and tomato-carrot-soup-for-babies-toddlers-and-kids
|Hot and sour soup/Hot and sour veggie soup/ indo chinese soup recipe|
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 7-8 Cuisine : INDO CHINESE
Cabbage : 1 medium sized chopped thinly
Carrot : 4 chopped thinly
Capsicum : 2 chopped thinly
Garlic : 1 tbsp chopped
Ginger : 1 tbsp chopped
Green chilly : 1/2 tbsp chopped
Vegetable Stock : 6 cups
Vinegar : 1.5 tbsp
Soy sauce : 1.5 tbsp
Tomato Ketchup : 1 tbsp
Salt as needed
Sugar : 1 tsp
Pepper powder : 1-2 tsp
Corn Starch : 1.5 tbsp
Water : 1/4 cup
Green onion for garnishing
Oil : 2 tbsp
1. heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan. I used dutch oven. Then add in chopped garlic, ginger and green chilies. Saute it till raw smell leaves.
2, Then add in thinly chopped veggies, saute it well. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins or veggies to shrink off.
3. Now add in vegetable stock. In meantime, mix corn starch with water. Once vegetable stock started to boil, add in corn starch water and mix well.
4. Further, add in soy sauce, tomato ketchup and vinegar. Along with salt and sugar to balance the taste bud into soup. Allow it to boil.
5. lastly, bring the soup to a simmer on medium flame for 2 minutes.
6. when the soup has thickened, add in black pepper and stir well. Turn off heat.
7. serve the veg hot and sour soup steaming hot garnished with spring onion.
- chop veggies thinly as in pic or julienne. Set aside. Heat oil in a pan, Saute chopped ginger, garlic and green chilies till raw smell leaves.
2. Now add in thinly chopped veggies, stir well. Cover and cook till veggies shrink off. Veggies should crunchy.
3. Add in vegetable stock. Mean time mix corn starch with water to thick liquid form, set aside. Once its started to boil, add in corn starch water to soup and mix well.
4. Once its become thick or soup consistency, add in salt and sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato ketchup. mix well. Cook it for 2-3 mins on medium heat and turn off heat.
6. The add in crushed pepper on top of soup. Serve steaming hot garnished with green onions .