Chickpeas Barley potato puree, you can easily make this recipe and this is best for babies 8 months and up. You will just need 1/4 cup chopped sweet potato, 2 tbsp of barley and 1/4 cup of chick peas to make a 1 cup of serving of puree. Best for 8-10 months babies.
Chickpeas – there are red, black and off-white variety that you can choose from. The most widely used one is the white one. When buying, carefully check if there are small rocks that were included; this happens while drying. Though there are canned chickpeas available in supermarkets we still advise to use the fresh organic ones. Select the ones with uniform color. Chickpeas have the Vitamin C needed to boost energy and the immune system. It also got the necessary protein, calories and fiber.
Barley – Good source of fiber that ensures smooth bowel movements. The fiber in barley encourages the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine.
Rich in trace minerals like selenium, molybdenum, manganese, copper, chromium, phosphorus and magnesium. Reduces production of bile acids, improving liver health. Check out my barley-cereal and barley-khichdi for babies
Sweet Potato – come in different sizes, colors depending on the variety. Color can can be orange, red orangey or some yellowish. There are also white ones. For this recipe, we used the orange variety because it is easily found and has a thicker texture when cooked – plus it is sweeter. Select the small to medium size ones with no bruises. Avoid those that have the growing “strings” as it indicates the sweet potato is already beyond its shelf life and it is tough and of course, it is growing a beard. Use your thumb and index finger to check its firmness.
|chickepea barley sweet potato puree/Channa barley sweet potato puree for babies|
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Soaking time : 4 – 6 hours Serves : 1 cup
Chickpea/Channa : 1/4 cup
Barley : 2 tbsp
sweet Potato : 1/4 cup chopped
Water as needed
Cumin seeds : 1/4 tsp
Hing : a pinch
1. Wash and soak channa/chickpea for 4-6 hours. Barley for 1/2 hour.
2. Peel and wash sweet potato. Chop them roughly. Take Cumin seeds and Hing.
3. Take all ingredients to pressure cooker. Pressure cook it for 6-8 whistles or 15 mins.
4. Once air released, open lid. Mash it up with masher or you can grind in food processor or in mixer jar. Serve warm with ghee for babies.
- Can add any veggies as your babies likes.
- You can make it without barley also.
- use soaked water to cook. Its more healthy. so wash and soak chickpea and barley.
- You can grind barley to coarse and cook.
- If you are trying first time for your baby, can blend in blender or food processor too.