Asking the real question here is “why fish head? Why not fish fillet?” Fish head is traditionally a popular poor man’s food. In modern times it has gain a good reputation, particularly because, fish head has a lot of flavor and also contains a lot of gelatin which has numerous health benefits. However, and this really didn’t need to be said, of course you can use fish fillet.
My mom love fish head, more than fish fillet. On my childhood i love fish fillets only. I used to saw why, amma having only fish head instead of fillet. One day i told her, let me try fish head also amma. What a taste and juicy. Yup, it taste so awesome. But only part i didn’t like is bone. That according to fish also its depends.
Anyhow, try this fish head curry recipe, find the difference between fish fillet and head parts. Coming to recipe here i used freshly grounded spice and masala paste to make this fish head curry. Make on clay pot will increase taste to the curry.
Check out my other fish recipes here:
|Fish head curry/Meen thala curry/ kuzhumbu recipe|
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 3-4 Cuisine : South Indian
To Roast and Grind:
Fenugreek seeds : 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Pepper corn : 1 tsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
For Masala Paste:
Fish heads : 6 (i used pomfret fish)
Shallots : 6-8
Garlic : 3
Tomato : 2 medium sized
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 2tsp
Tamarind : 1 small ball size
Grated coconut : 1/2 cup
Ground spice powder : 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Gingelly oil : 2 tbsp
Shallots : 4-5
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Green chilly : 2 slit
1. First heat clay pot. Then roast and make a coarse powder ingredients under roast and grind. set aside.
2. In same pot, heat 1/2 tbsp of oil. Saute sliced shallots, garlic and tomatoes for 3 mins. Then add in roast and grind powder, red chilly, coriander and turmeric powder along with salt.
3. Cook it till raw raw smell leaves. Turn off heat. Now add in grated coconut. Allow it cool down . Transfer it to mixer jar and make a smooth paste. Set aside.
4. Heat rest gingelly oil. Saute 5 shallots with curry leaves and green chilly till translucent. Then add in ground masala paste, cook it for 2-3 mins.
5. Then add in tamarind juice, allow it to boil nicely. Till raw smell leavesand oil starts to separate. Now add in cleaned and washed fish head to the curry.
6. Close it with a lid and cook till fish head cook and fish heat to tender. Check consistency. Add water if needed. Serve hot with white rice.
- Dry roast fenugreek, mustard, cumin seeds and pepper corn in clay pot. Once cool down, make a coarse powder, set aside.
2. Then in a same clay pot Saute shallots, garlic for 1 min. now add in tomatoes. Cook it little mushy. Then add in coarse ground powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. cook till raw smell leaves. Turn off heat and add in grated coconut, saute it for a while. Once cool down, make smooth paste and set aside.
3. Now again heat rest of gingelly oil in clay pot. Saute shallots, green chilly and curry leaves. Add in ground masala paste, cook it for a while. Then add in tamarind juice. Allow it to boil till raw smell leave, oil starts to separate.
4. Then add in cleaned and washed fish heads. Cover with lid and cook it till fish head to tender and oil bloats on top of curry. Check consistency of curry , add water if needed.