With all the awareness about whole grains and other healthy foods increasing by the day, we often find ourselves wanting to extend our use of grains beyond the usual rice or wheat. We’d like to try various millets and other grains like barley. However, the biggest obstacle seems to be regarding how one can go about including such grains in our daily diet, especially for very young children.
Nutritional Benefits of Barley
- Barley can be easily digested
- It is non-allergenic and is ideal for weaning babies
- It has a high protein content
- Barley is rich in fiber that ensures smooth bowel movements
- The fiber in barley encourages the growth of friendly bacteria in the intestine
- It is rich in trace minerals like selenium, molybdenum, manganese, copper, chromium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Barley reduces production of bile acids, improving liver health
A golden and yellow grain with versatile properties and goodness for cooking. A chewy grain with nutty like flavors and goodness is a must have in ones diet. Barley is known is for its impressive health benefits with high fiber content, supplies antioxidants to the body, protects against Diabetes hence its one of the best and has its own qualities in all the whole grain choices. Low in fat and calories but more in fiber making it stand equal with other grains like brown rice etc.,
Click here to check out my other barley-cereal-and-porridge.
|BARLEY MOONG KHICHDI FOR BABIES, TODDLERS AND KIDS|
Barley moong khichdi is a wholesome weight gaining food for the baby’s and toddlers and a natural power packed meal for instant energy.
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins
Serves : 1 cup Cuisine : Indian
Barley : 1/4 cup
Moong dal : 2 tbsp
Potato : 1 small sized
Onion : 1 tbsp. (I took pearl onion, chopped)
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp
Hing : a pinch
Garlic : 1 pod
Water : 1 cup
ghee : 1/2 tsp
1. Take pearl barley to mixer jar. Just give 2-3 pulse speed. Don’t make a powder. Just making into half or coarse. Soak barley for 30 mins.
2. Then take all other ingredients. Wash moong dal. Chop potato and onion.
3. Transfer all ingredients to pressure cooker. add a cup of water. Give a mix and close cooker with lid. Pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles.
4. Once air released, open and mash it little bit with a masher.(optional)
5. Transfer to serving bowl. Add in ghee and salt (optional). and serve for babies.
6. For kids and toddlers, omit 1st method and proceed.
- You can add any veggies as per your choice.
- Soaking it important, will help barley to cook nicely.
- If you are giving barley khichdi to above 1year, no need to grind it.