Tilapia fish puttu/meen puttu is a very different fish recipe. Most importantly this recipe requires very limited oil. I just love to have it as a snack. Also it goes well along with Rice and rasam.
Fish puttu is a traditional kerala dish. It’s usually cooked with shark or king fish. In south India we call it as “sura-puttu” and it is most popular in all non-vegeterian cooking. It goes well with fish kuzhambhu and sambar.
It can also be a great side-dish for biryani. If it’s hard to find shark meat where you live, you can substitute it with Tilapia, which actually taste almost as good as shark puttu. If you are lucky to get shark meat use that instead. It’s very easy to make and tastes awesome.
This is very simple and tasty fish puttu. Ingredients mostly available in pantry and fridge. So, you can cook this puttu in jiffy. I used tilapia fish, which will cook very fast (mostly 5 mins). Only few ingredients you need to cook. Check out my eral-puttu recipe. I love puttu/podimas it may be veg or non veg. Ok lets jump into the recipe.
|Meen puttu/podimas / Scrambled fish / Stir fried fish /Fish bhurji recipe|
Can use any fish variety like cod, cat, salmon, king and tilapia. I used tilapia for this meen puttu recipe.
Prep time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Serves : 3-4
Fish : 500 gms (i used tilapia)
Onion : 1 large chopped
Garlic pods : 8-9 finely chopped
Green chilly : 3-4 finely chopped
Turmeric powder : 1tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt to taste
Pepper powder : 1/2 tsp
Water to steam fish
oil : 2 tbsp
1. Steam the fish until it gets cooked, usually Tilapia gets cooked very fast ( like in around 5 minutes). But when you using shark it will take some time to get cooked. So you have to adjust your timing according to the type of fish you are using.
2. Once the above process is done remove from heat and just shred it into small pieces by using your hand.
3. Heat oil in a wide pan, then add in chopped ingredients like onion, green chilies and garlic pods. Saute it till golden brown in color,
4. Then add in shredded fish into it and mix well. Now add in salt and pepper powder.
5. Mix it all together and let it cook in simmer heat for about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and garnish it with coriander leaves.