Bread Upma is a traditional South Indian recipe. It is a savory and tangy dish which can be served as a Breakfast or as a quick fix meal.
Bread Upma is made by cooking Bread pieces in a spicy tempering made of chillies, onions, tomatoes, fresh curry leaves and mild spice powders. The dish tastes really delicious as the bread pieces soak up all the masala.
While Bread Upma is originally a south Indian dish, in last few decades, it has gained wider acceptance and liking in other parts too. It is traditionally served as breakfast but there is no bar enjoying it at any other time of the day.
While the preparation is extremely simple, some important steps for a perfect bread upma recipe. Firstly, i would heavily recommend to toast the bread first and then fry them with spices and veggies. otherwise, the bread slices may turn soggy and spongy. Secondly, I used some veggies which i found in my fridge. You can omit veggies or add veggies as per your choice and cook further.
This dish can also be packed in lunch box for school going children who may find this savory dish more attractive than traditional Upma. I used whole wheat bread for this recipe. You can use any kind of bread. Lets jump into the recipe.
|Veg Bread Upma/Vegetable Bread Upma/Easy Tiffin Recipe|
Bread Upma is a traditional South Indian recipe. It is a savory and tangy dish which can be served as a Breakfast or as a quick fix meal
Prep Time : 10 mins Cook time : 15 mins
Serves : 4-5
Bread Slices : 8 (i took whole wheat)
Onion : 1 medium sized
Tomato : 2 large chopped
Green Chilies : 2 slit
Carrot : 1 large sliced
Potato : 1 small cubed
Green Peas : 1/4 cup (i used Frozen one)
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
milagai podi/Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Garam masala Powder : 1 tsp
Sugar : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
For Garnish :
Ghee : 1 tsp
Cashews : 5-6 make into pieces
Coriander leaves : 1 tbsp chopped
1. Take a bread slices, cut them into cubes. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in kadai, roast bread cubes to golden brown here and there. Set aside.
2. In same kadai, heat 2 tbsp of oil. Throw in onion with green chilies slit. saute till onions sweat and turn translucent.
3. Then add in chopped tomatoes with salt and sugar. Cook it till mushy.
4. Now add in veggies, saute it for a while. Then add in spice powder, add little water. Mix well and cook veggies to 85%.
5. Then add in roasted bread cubes and give a nice mix. Also cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes, making sure the bread absorbs masala.
6. Finally, serve bread upma garnished with coriander leaves and cashews roasted on ghee (Its optional)