I love festival season as everyone is excited to wear new clothes, eat goodies and even the streets look all decorated. Food plays an important role in any festival for us. We Indians love to make both sweets and savories for any special occasion. Thenkuzhal Murukku is a savory snack which is usually prepared for Krishna Jyanathi or Diwali. These snacks are made in bigger scale as they stay good for upto three weeks.
Thenkuzhal murukku is a snack made mainly with rice flour and ural dal flour. You can prepare rice flour and urad dal flour at home too. I made it with store bought flour. Here i explained how to make flour at home itself.
Rice Flour – Soak rice in some water for 1 hour. Drain the water and spread it on a towel for 15 minutes. Grind it to a fine powder using your food processor. Sieve the flour twice and spread it on a newspaper for 15 minutes. Store in a dry container and use it to make snacks.
Urad dal flour – Roast ural dal on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Grind it to make a fine powder. Sieve the flour twice and spread it on a newspaper for 15 minutes. Store in a dry container and use it to make snacks.
Check out my other savoury or festive snacks:
|Thenkuzhal Murukku / Murukku Recipe|
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking time : 30 mins
Serves : 15-18
Rice Flour : 1 cup
Urad dal flour : 1/4 cup
butter : 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida : 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Cooking oil for deep fry
Water to knead dough
1. Sieve rice flour, urad dal flour and transfer it into a mixing bowl. Add salt, cumin seeds, asafoetida and mix well.
2. Melt butter with water. Sprinkle water and start mixing to make a soft dough and let it sit for 10 mins cover with wet kitchen towel or cloth.
3. Heat oil in pan. Use the 3 hole disc to make thenkuzhal.
4. Fill dough in the snack press and press it slowly in circular motion on a oil greased butter sheet.
5. Slide them gently into the oil and fry them over medium heat till they turn light golden brown.
6. Drain excess oil and follow the same procedure for rest of the dough.
7. Let it cool down completely before storing them in an air-tight container.