Crab Curry is considered as a delicacy in many parts of the world and is often consumed as a main course. This recipe is a very basic and simple crab curry to prepare. The simple crab curry is a very basic and fast to prepare dish where the crab is cooked in a delicious and spicy gravy masala made on onion, green chilies, coconut and tomatoes.
There are many known varieties crab. The crabs which are delicious to eat are the blue crabs, Dungeness crabs and king crabs. Dungeness crabs are large crabs with pink and juicy meat while the king crabs are extremely large in size.
This crab curry is my mom’s and grandma’s recipe. Most of the people love crab. But cleaning a crab is a big deal. Crab should be clean and cook immediately, that will give more taste to crabs. Here you can check how-to-clean-a-live-crabs
You can have this crab curry with steamed rice or you can have as a side dish for sambar and rasam. This is one of my favorite crab curry and easy to make. Beginners who is cooking crab will have doubt, how to find crab has cooked or not. Here i shown the difference between cooked and raw crab in below pic. Check out my other nandu-kuzhumbucurried-crab-with-coconut-and-spices
|Simple crab Curry/ Crab Curry recipe|
The simple crab curry is a very basic and fast to prepare dish where the crab is cooked in a delicious and spicy gravy masala.
Prep time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 2-3
Crab : 3 large or 6 small pieces
Onion : 1 small chopped
Tomato : 2 large chopped
Green chilly : 1-2
Coconut : 1/2 cup grated
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Red chilly powder : 1-2 tsp ( adjust to your spicy level)
Salt to taste
Sesame oil : 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves : 1 spring
1. Take chopped onion, tomatoes, green chilly and coconut in a blender and make into a smooth puree. set aside.
2. heat oil in a pan or kadai. crack mustard seeds and curry leaves. Then add in pureed masala and stir well.
3. Now add in salt and turmeric powder. Cook it until raw smell of onion and tomatoes leaves. Then add in chilly powder. Cook it for a while,
4. Add some water. Then add in cleaned crab, toss well in the masala. Cover and cook for 15 mins.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with rice.