Hi friends, Wish you all a very happy new year. So, lets start our new year with sweet, Basundi. Basundi is a rich, delicious and flavorful indian sweet made by thickening full fat milk and sugar. It is then garnished with nuts. Basundi is mostly popular in the Western Indian states of Marashtra. Gujarat and some parts of Karnataka. It can be served on its own chilled & garnished with nuts.
Traditionally basundi is made by simmering full fat milk for a long time until the milk reduces to almost half the original quantity. I am sharing a quick recipe using condensed milk.
This recipes of mine is a quick one and does not ask you to simmer the milk for hours, in about 20 to 25 mins the basundi will be ready. Sweetened condensed milk makes the work easy and you just need to simmer the milk for some mins. The quantity of this recipe serves 7 to 8 people.
For an extra i added corn starch mixed with milk, to make milk thick quickly. you can also make this recipe with unsweetened condensed milk and then add sugar as per your taste.
Basundi can be served hot, warm or chilled. if serving with pooris, then serve.
If you are looking for more sweets recipes then do check:
|Basundi/Easy Basundi with condensed milk/basundi under 20 mins |
This basundi recipe is a quick and easy recipe of sweet thickened milk flavored with cardamom and dry fruits.
Prep time : 5 mins Cooking time : 20 mins
Serves : 7-8
Sweetened condensed milk : 1 tin
Full fat milk : 1 litre or 5 cups
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Cashews : 10-12 chopped
Almonds : 10-12 chopped
Pistachios : 10-12 chopped
Saffron strands : 7-6 (Kesar)
Corn starch : 1 tsp
Milk : 1 tbsp to mix with corn starch
1. Take mill, condensed milk in a big pan and heat it up. Bring it to a boil, simmer the pan and cook on medium heat, keep stirring.
2. Now it will form crust on top, fold that in the milk mix.
3. Then add in saffron strands and cardamom powder, mix well.
4. Once milk got reduced for 30%, add in corn starch milk, mix well.
5. Keep cooking for 5 mins on medium heat and add all the other ingredients. mix well.
6. Pour into a bowl and chill. Serve cold.
- If it gets very thick after chilling, add some more milk and mix well.
- You can add 1/2 can of condensed milk and sugar if like.