Vegetable stew is a global dish made from a mixture of vegetables like Carrot, potatoes, green peas etc which goes well with palappam, idiyappam bread, puri or rice. These ingredients can include any combination of vegetables. The usage of coconut milk as an ingredient gives it a typical Kerala flavor.
Vegetable stew, prepared in rich smooth coconut milk is a power house of nutrients and minerals. Beans, carrot, Potato, Cauliflower and green Peas are the main ingredients in Kerala Style Vegetable Stew. It is ideal for breakfast and can be served for dinner as well together with Rotis/ Chappathis, Appam
Make sure you eat a healthy breakfast every day and also help your kids develop good, healthy eating habits that would last a lifetime. Vegetables contain a lot of minerals and vitamins, and vegetable stew is an easy way to make your kids eat vegetable. Hope you will try and enjoy this wonderful Vegetable stew. Start your day in a healthier, happier way.
Check out other related recipes:
the coconut milk can be either freshly prepared at home by grinding coconut or you can store bought coconut cream. i have used the store bought coconut cream can and i have added water to make it less creamy. secondly, adding vegetables is completely open-ended and you can explore it with your choice.
|Veg stew/vegetable stew (kerala Style)|
Simple and tasty veg stew with creamy coconut milk.
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Serves : 3
Coconut Oil : 1/2 tbsp
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Bay leaf : 1
Onion : 1/2 sliced
curry leaves : 1 spring
Vegetable : 2.5 cups (i used potato, carrot, peas, beans and cauliflower)
Thin Coconut milk : 2 cups
Thick coconut milk : 1/4 cup
Corn scratch : 1 tbsp
Water as needed
Salt to taste
Cashews : 5 whole pieces
Green chilly : 3 nos
Cinnamon stick : 1 inch
Cardamom : 2
Poppy seeds : 1/2 tbsp
Cloves : 2
1. Take all ingredients under grind in mixer jar. Make a smooth paste, set aside.
2. Heat 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in a sauce pan. Crack fennel seeds and bay leaf. Then saute sliced onion with curry leaves for 2-3 mins on medium heat.
3. Now add in chopped veggies with ground paste and required water. Allow it to 1/2 cook. Than add in 2 cups of thin coconut milk, cook veggies to tender.
4. Then add in salt and corn scratch mixed water. Cook for a min. Then add in thick coconut milk. Once its started to bubbles, turn off heat.
5. Serve warm with appam, idiyappam, chapatti etc.,
- You may adjust the spice levels by adding more green chilies.
- Adding 1 tbsp corn flour/ Maida in little water and mix it to thicken the gravy if required.
- Coconut oil should be used to get the authentic taste.
If you like this Vegetable stew recipe, do put in your comments or share with your friends with the help of buttons on the side. Follow me for more updates. Thank you.