A popular and a traditional south indian deep fried snack recipe made with rice flour. it is generally prepared during the festival seasons like diwali and ganesh chaturthi or for the feast for celebrations and occasions. but it can also be served as a tea time snack for any given day.
There are many variants and variations to this south indian chakli recipe. these are generally prepared with a dough which is a combination of rice and urad dal with spices like chili powder and cumin. but this variation of rice murukku recipe is an instant version made just with fine rice flour and sesame seeds, chili powder, ghee.
Some easy tips and suggestions while preparing the rice murukku recipe. firstly, i would heavily recommend using fine rice flour for this murukku recipe. The murukku from former would absorb more oil while deep frying. secondly, while deep frying the chakli, do not wait until it turns red or brown. As we are not using urad dal, the chakli would remain white in color even after completely cooked. Lastly, the chakli’s can easily last for a month and has a long shelf life. Make sure to store them in an airtight container, in a warm and dry place.
Other Murukku recipes:
|Rice flour Murukku/Chakli recipe|
A popular and a traditional south indian deep fried snack recipe made with rice flour.
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Yield : 50
Rice Flour : 2.5 cups (store bought)
Water : 2.5 cups
Sesame seeds : 1 tsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Melted butter/ghee : 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
1. Firstly, dry roast rice flour for 3 mins on medium heat. Transfer it to plate.
2. take water in a wide vessel, allow it to boil. Then add in sesame seeds, red chilly powder, salt and butter all together, mix well.
3. Then turn of heat. Add in rice flour, mix a while. close a vessel with lid. Let it sit for 5 mins. Then knead it as dough.
4. start preparing chaklis on the wet cloth or butter paper make small spiral shape chaklis by pressing.
5. seal the ends so that it doesn’t fall apart while deep frying.
6. take one murukku at a time a and slide it into hot oil.
7. flip the murukku and fry on medium flame till they turn crispy from both sides. furthermore, drain over a paper towel to remove excess oil.
8. finally, serve crispy and murukku / chakli with masala tea or masala milk.