Rice porridge/Rice cereal/arisi kanji is a ideal first food for babies after they completed 6 months as it is easily digestible & less likely to cause allergic reactions. When you introduce this rice porridge to your baby, it is advisable to give it in a diluted form. Once your baby is adjusted with it, you could give slightly thick. Rice porridge is the first food i gave my baby after she completed 5 months. After she is comfortable with this rice porridge, I started trying with oatmeal-cereal- and barley-cereal.
Rice is highly recommended first grain for babies since it is easy to digest, non allergic and the smooth texture its yield. The ready made cereals are precooked. During this process many nutrients are lost. This is one of reason, why ready made baby cereals for babies are enriched with more nutrients.
For this recipe i used white rice. You can use brown rice too. Initially use white rice for about a week for babies, then you can try with brown rice. I used pottukadalai/dalia split few and 10 cumin seeds. If you dont like to try, you can skip this. Just sun dry or dry roast rice in pan and make a fine powder. Your homemade rice cereal is ready.
|Home made rice cereal and porridge for babies|
An easy recipe for homemade baby rice cereal.
Prep time : 5 mins Cooking : 10 mins
White/Brown rice : 1/4 cup
Pottukadalai/Dalia split : 1 tsp (optional)
Cumin seeds : 10 (optional)
For Porridge :
Water : 1/4 cup
Home made rice cereal : 1.5-2 tsp
1. Take rice. wash, drain and sun dry it. I add pottukadalai and cumin seeds along with rice for sun dry. (or you can pan dry also)
2. Once it turns to crisp, take it to blender. make a fine powder.
3. Then sieve it. Homemade rice cereal is ready. store it in air tight container.
4. For porridge. Take water in a sauce pan with rice cereal. Mix it well.
5. Start to cook on medium heat without leaving your hand stir it continuously. Once it form to porridge consistency, transfer to serving bowl. Serve baby lukewarm.
- You can use brown rice instead of white rice.
- you can skip pottukadalai and cumin seeds, if you dont want to try first for your babies.
- sieving is important.
- Dont make porridge too thick or thin. check pic for consistency.
- Babies have little tummy. So they will have 1 -1.5 tbsp of porridge only in the beginning stage.