Barley is a super food and is considered a complete food. Babies grown on barley are believed to be very strong. Since barley is a complete source of all the nutrient essentials of our body, it is a breakfast material through out the world. There are different ways of giving barley to your baby. Some begin with barley water and slowly introduce barley porridge as filling food for babies. Check out oatmeal-cereal-and-porridge-for-babies.
Benefits of Barley for Babies
- Rich in protein
- Easy to digest
- High in dietary fibers
- Helps strengthening bones
Why should I give Barley to my baby?
Barley is rich in fibre and is one of the most nutritious grains. Barley contains amino acids, B vitamins, Vitamin A Vitamin C, Niacin, Folate. It is also a hub for many of the minerals like Potassium, Magnesium, calcium, iron, sodium and many more.
Studies have revealed that consumption of barley has helped in preventing the occurrence of asthama in babies and small children. Barley regulates the blood sugar level.
The best thing about barley is it can be made into a cereal or cooked into a soup or porridge consistency. It is easily blendable. Adding barley in baby food chart immediately boosts their nutritional value.
When can I introduce Barley to my baby?
Barley contains gluten, a type of protein. There are cases of gluten allergy. So, the safe option is to wait for at least until the baby turns 6 months and gradually introduce barley while observing every move of your baby for any allergic reaction.
Consult your baby’s doctor for more detailed information of your baby’s diet and other specifications. I starts to my daughter, when she turns she months.
How to store barley?
Pearl barley is the widely used barley. It is easy to cook pearl barley and that is the main advantage.
Pearl barley can be stored for long months in a cool dry place. Air tight containers also help a lot in the storage of the barley. If barley is milled, then it might need refrigeration to prevent the ground barley from going rancid.
If you are doing the milling yourself, then it is advisable to do in small batches as and when required for use. Hope this post motivates you to introduce barley to your baby. :-).
Homemade Barley cereal and porridge for babies Recipe
Nutritious and fulfilling barley cereal & barley porridge for your
little one. Best weaning food for your babies.
Prep Time : 3 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins
Yield : 1/4 cup
Barley : 1 cup
Barley Cereal : 1 tbsp
Water : 1/2 cup
1. Take 1 cup of Barley, which is well cleaned. Thoroughly rinse the barley grains and remove all the excess water. You can dry it on a cotton cloth under shade for few hours, but it is not necessary.
2. Take a pan and add the rinsed barley grains
Roast it on medium flame until the color changes and pops
3. Transfer it to a plate and let it cool completely.
4. Grind it into fine powder using a mixer grinder or portable blender.
5. Store it in airtight container and use it whenever required
For Porridge :
1. Take a clean dry pan add Barley Cereal powder and add water or milk to cook the porridge.
2. Mix it lump free using a whisk or spoon.
3. After mixing it well put on the heat and bring it to a boil.
4. Continuously keep stirring while it cooks to ensure no lumps are
5. It will be ready after you cook it for about 5 minutes. Transfer it in a
bowl and serve it warm.
6. You can add a pinch of Cumin/ Cardamom / Pepper powder to make it tasty for a baby instead of salt or sugar.
7. Any fruit purees can also be added for flavor and extra nourishment.