Pomfret Fry Recipe is a tasty and a mouthwatering recipe with a crispy texture. One might think that frying fish is straight forward but there are so many variants with subtle differences like South Indian Fish Fry, Malabar Fish Fry or Kerala Fish Fry, Goan Fish Fry, Chettinad Fish Fry, Andhra Style Fish Fry. Pomfret is one of the tastiest fishes in the sea and the texture of the fish adds a unique taste to the recipe. And the aroma of this recipe is going to invite your neighbors.
Fish is an excellent source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. That helps in development of brain and eyes. Hence fish should be a part of healthy diet. It’s recommended that adults and even children eat fish at least once a weak.
This is very simple fish fry. My tips to wash fish in turmeric powder or in vinegar, to hide the raw smell of fish. Because my hubby is very sensitive on sea food smell. So, wash the fish. Pat dry it. In a wide bowl, mix all ingredients except fish. Chop coriander leaves very finely and then add to masala. Then gentle apply or mix masala to coat with each fish. Let it marinate for 1 hour at least. if you want more crispy, can add corn flour to this mixture. Then you can deep fry or shallow fry in oil as you desired. Serve fish warm with sliced onion and lemon.
Check out other seafood recipes here:
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 4-5
Pomfret fish/Vavval meen : 12 sliced thinly
Lemon Juice : 1 tbsp
Ginger Garlic : 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1/2 tbsp
Pepper Powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves : 1 tbsp finely chopped
Oil to fry (shallow fry)
- Take sliced fish, wash them with turmeric powder or vinegar. To hide raw smell of fish. Then pat dry fish, set aside.
- In a wide bowl, add in all ingredients, except fish. Make a smooth paste. Take fish, apply this masala on fish to coat well. Repeat it in all fish and allow in to marinate for 1 hour in fridge.
- Heat oil in pan or skillet. Spread marinated fish. Don’t spread without gap. Leave some space to flip over fish. Allow it to cook for 5 min or to crisp on medium heat.
- Then flip over. Cook on other side of fish to crisp or till cook. You can deep fry also.
- Serve fish fry warm with sliced onion and lemon.
Make the marinade separately instead of adding the spices directly on the fish. So that you can check for the salt and spice taste and adjust adding accordingly.
You can add other seasonings like onion powder, garam masala and curry leaves.
You can any variety of fish like salmon and catfish. If you are using frozen fish make sure to thaw the fish thoroughly before marinating.
Wait until the bottom side of the fish becomes crispy before flipping to the other side. This helps to avoid the fish from breaking.
Fry the fish in hot oil over a medium to high heat. This helps to make a crispy fish fry.
You can add 1-2 tsp of corn flour to masala paste. It will make fish more crisp.