Anything biryani is always a big yes at home any time of the day and today its Mushroom’s turn to brighten the table. There was a box of fresh white button mushrooms sitting in my refrigerator which needs to be finished and had to come up with something palatable. At home not everyone is a big of mushrooms… one recipe that never receives a negative feedback is biryani and will be done the moment it shows up on the table. Its been quite sometime now and didn’t realize that my site is missing this favorite recipe of mine. So here you go…. simple, delicious & flavorful mushroom biryani that I often make at home following my Mom’s recipe where she uses fresh coconut milk to make this scrumptious one pot dish.
Mushrooms are a powerhouse of nutrition, have high anti oxidants. many other nutrients and are said to increase immunity. The can be added to everyday vegetables to prepare curry, stir fry, fried rice, Pulao and even flavorful biryani. Though we don’t like mushroom much. I prepare them sometime at least to get the health benefits they provide.
This biryani can be served with raita and some chips on the side. You can also pack this in the office or school lunch box. This biryani recipe can be made in one pot or cooker. This recipes will yield mushroom biryani that is very delicious and flavorful. The unique aroma comes from the spice powder will make us tempt.
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 2-3
Mushroom : 1 cup sliced
Basmati Rice : 1.5 cups
Onion : 1 medium sized sliced
Tomato : 2 Large (I make puree)
Ginger Garlic paste : 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder : 2 tsp
Garam masala : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Green chilly : 2 slit
Salt to taste
Coconut Milk : 1.5 cups (thin)
Water : 1.5 cups
Oil : 1 tbsp
Ghee : 1 tbsp
Yogurt : 1/2 cup
Mint leaves : 1/4 cup chopped
Whole Garam masala : to temper (bay leaf -1 , fennel seeds- 1 tsp, cloves – 2, star anise – 1, cardamom -2-3, black stone – 1, cinnamon stick – 1 inch)
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 30 min. Heat oil and ghee in pressure cooker. Temper with whole garam masala as mentioned in ingredients. Then add in sliced onion with green chilly, sauté till golden brown in color.
- Then add in ginger garlic paste, cook for 1 min. Now add in spice powders along with salt. Cook it till raw smell leaves.
- Then add in tomato puree. Cook it till done and raw smell leaves. Add in sliced mushroom, stir it well. Mushroom will leaves moisture. Check for that. Then cook for 2-3 mins
- Add in yogurt and mint leaves. mix well. Now add in water and coconut milk. 1:2 ratio method I used. Means 1.5 cups basmati rice and 1.5 cups of coconut milk and 1.5 cups of water.
- Soak rice for 30 min. Now add in soaked rice. Mix well. Cover cooker with lid. Cook on medium high for 2 whistle.
- Open lid once air settled. Fluff it up with flat spoon of fork. Serve warm with raita.