Sweet boondi is my favorite since childhood. The juicy inside and grainy outside boondhis really takes me to another world. Sweet boondi recipe with step by step pics – Sweet boondi is a very tasty sweet recipe which can be prepared at home. We all might have had this sweet from sweet shops. It is a tasty and easy to make dessert which can be prepared for diwali. Not only for diwali, you can have it on all ocassions.
There are two types of boondi. One is the sweet boondi which Im sharing here and the other is the spicy kara boondi. I love both the boondi varieties.
The method of making sweet boondi is very easy but there are few tips and tricks which you can follow to get a perfect boondi.
Two separate slotted spoons are must for preparing sweet boondi. One for making boondi and the other for removing them from oil. Always wipe the spoon before adding the next batch.
Check out my other sweet recipes here :
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 35 mins
Yields : 2 – 2.5 cups
Gram Flour/Kadala Maavu : 1 cup
Rice Flour/Arisi maavu : 1 tbsp
Cooking Soda : 1/8 tsb
Yellow Food color : a pinch (any color you can add)
Oil to deep fry
For Sugar Syrup:
Sugar : 1 to 1 1/2 cups (adjust as per ur taste)
Water : 3/4 – 1 cup
Cardamom : 1 powdered
Cloves : 2 cloves crushed
Rose Essence : 3 drops
Ghee : 1 tsp
Cashew nuts : 8 broken into small pieces
Raisin : 5
- Take a gram flour in a sifter. Sieve it. Add in rice flour, food color and cooking soda. Now add in water slowly and make a smooth batter. Mix well. The batter should be little thick, it should be thinner than bajji batter.
- Now heat oil for deep frying. Now take a perforated ladle or boondi karandi. Hold it over oil. Pour a ladle of batter over ladle or karandi, spread it over oil. Boondi will flow drop by drop in oil.
- Fry the boondi till little crispy. Drain them and set aside.
- take sugar and water in a pan. Allow it to boil till sugar melt completely. Add in crushed cloves and cardamom powder. Then rose essence few drops.
- Take off the syrup when you check with your hands it should be single string consistency.
- Then add in boondis, mix well. Fry nuts and raisins in ghee. Add it to boondis and mix well. Allow it to sit for 2-3 hours. Once boondi cools down it will be crystalise. Then serve