Kavuni Arisi Payasam or Black Rice Kheer is a traditional and authentic festival sweet of Chettinad region. It is completely healthy and extremely delicious payasam that all your guests will love. Kavuni Arisi or Black Rice is predominantly used in Chettinad cuisine as it is grown in plenty in the region.
Did you know : Black Rice or Kavuni Arisi has gained popularity to the level of a superfood. It is cultivated in northeastern and southern parts in India. Black rice also known as Forbidden Rice is deep coloured because of the presence of a powerful antioxidant called anthocyanin making this variety of rice the revered amongst all rice varieties. Check out my Black rice puttu/kavuni arisI puttu
Black rice is high in nutritional value and is a source of iron, vitamin E, and antioxidants (more than in blueberries). The grain has a similar amount of fiber to brown rice and, like brown rice, has a mild, nutty taste. In China, black rice is claimed to be good for the kidney, stomach, and liver. Black rice has a deep black color and usually turns deep purple when cooked. It is suitable for making porridge, dessert, traditional Chinese black rice cake, bread, and noodles. Black rice contains essential amino acids like lysine and tryptophan; vitamins such as thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), and folic acid (B9); and dietary minerals including iron, zinc, calcium, and phosphorus.” – Wikipedia Source
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Soaking Time : 2 hours Serves : 3-4
Kavuni Arisi/Black rice : 1/2 cup
Powder jaggery : 1 cup
Coconut Milk thin : 2 cups
Coconut milk thick : 1 cup
Cardamom powder : 1 tsp
Water : 1 cup
Ghee : 2 tbsp
Cashews : 5 into pieces
Almonds : 5 sliced
Sara paruppu : 1 tsp (optional)
- wash and soak black rice with a cup of water for 2 hours. Then starin the water, stock it for later use.
- Transfer drained black rice to mixer jar. Just give pulse speed 1-2 times.
- In pressure cooker add stocked water and coarsely grinded black rice. Then add in thin coconut milk, mix it. cover and pressure cook it for 15 mins on medium heat.
- Once air released add grated jaggery, cardamom powder, mix well. Allow to cook it for 5 mins.
- Now add in thick coconut milk, stir it. turn of the heat. lastly add in fried nuts with ghee. Serve hot. Healthy eating.
- If you don’t like grinding to coarse texture, u can skip and cook black rice once you soaked it.
- If you don’t like to add coconut milk, can add normal milk too.
- Instead of jaggery can add nattu sakkarai, raw sugar, brown sugar also
- If you not having sara paruppu, can skip. I usually add sara paruppu to kheers.