Horsegram idly / Kollu idly is a traditional Konkani breakfast recipe. A twist of the usual idli batter of rice and urad dal with the addition of horse gram. The three grains are soaked, ground and mixed together and allow to ferment. This fermentation process give it the fluffy texture. It is good to include horsegram in our diet often and this idli is a perfect way to include it. For more healthy, I added brown rice and red poha too. It goes well with Chutneys/ sides for tiffin
Did you know : Horsegram contains the highest protein content of any lentil in the world. This grain is fed to horses to keep them energetic and maintain weight, hence the namesake. Horsegram is also rich in iron and calcium among other nutrients. It is a poor man’s food as it provides a lot of energy for a small portion consumed.
Did you know : Brown rice is a highly nutritious food. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories (216 calories per cup), high in fiber, gluten-free and can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Brown rice is a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, thiamin, niacin and vitamin B6, and an excellent source of manganese, with 88 percent of your daily manganese in just one cup cooked.
Did you know : A healthier variation to the everyday poha is the red poha, which is made from red rice. In the recent times, red rice has garnered much attention because of its health benefiting properties. The red colour is due to the presence of a pigment called anthocyanin, which is also a flavonoid. Moreover, unlike white rice, red rice doesn’t undergo excessive processing, and as such the other bran layer remains intact, which is rich is fiber, vitamin B, and minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, manganese, magnesium etc. Red rice is also enriched with antioxidants that help in fighting free radicals in our body, preventing the risk of diseases like cancer.
Soaking Time : 5-6 hours Cooking Time : 10 mins
Fermentation Time : overnight Serves : 2-3
Kollu/horsegram : 1/2 cup
Brown Rice : 1/2 Cup
Idly Rice : 1 cup
Red poha : 1/2 cup
Urad Dal : 1/2 cup
Methi seeds : 1 tsp
Water as needed
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak kollu and rice, urad dal, methi seeds and red poha separately for 5-6 hours.
- Grind them individually to a smooth paste by adding little water. Grind urad dal and methi seeds first. Then grind kollu, brown and idly rice and red poha. Transfer all the batter in a container.
- Add salt and mix them well together. Use your clean hand for mixing, it will help for fermentation.
- Keep in a place and let it ferment. Fermentation time is dependents on the climate it may take 6-8 hours. Once it fermented you can see the batter will be double the quantity than before. now grease the idli plate and fill each mould with the idli batter and steam it for 7-10 mins or till the till done. Once the idli steamed well you can remove it from the plate and serve hot with your fav chutney.
- To make healthier breakfast only, I added brown rice and red poha. If you don’t like you can add idly rice itself.
- I like kollu idly or dosa with hot and tangy chutneys more than coconut chutney.
- Try to mix batter well with your hand for fermentation.