Goathead /Aatu Thala curry is one of the most delicious curry among all the other spare parts of Lamb. I prepare it whenever I get goat head. Other than Goat Brain you could use all the head pieces which includes eyes, tongue, ear and so on. But my hubby don’t like these parts. So, I didn’t add these parts. This goes out well with rice, idli, dosa and so on. I have tried out my mom version of this curry without coconut. It was delicious and aromatic.
At my home we usually used to give this head curry for new mom’s atleast for 3 months. Because it will give strength to babies on neck and head parts. My mom used to give me for my both post delivery. So, new mom’s can have this curry weekly twice upto 3-4 months. This is my personal experience too. Ok lets begin with aatu thala curry recipe.
other goat parts recipes here:
Prep time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 2-3
Goat Head : 250 gms
Onion : 1 large chopped
Tomato : 2 Medium sized chopped
Ginger and Garlic : 2 tsp crushed
Pepper Powder : 2 tsp (Dry roast and grinded)
Cumin Powder : 1 tsp (Dry roast and grinded)
Rock Salt to taste
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp (To clean head)
Kuzhumbu milagai podi : 1 tbsp
Gingelly Oil : 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Coriander leaves to garnish
- First check any hair are in head part. Then coat it with turmeric powder, let it sit for 5 mins. Then wash it with water, set aside.
- Heat oil in pressure cooker. Sizzle mustard seeds, Saute onion, curry leaves for 3mins. Then add in crushed ginger garlic. Saute it till raw smell leaves.
- Now add in tomatoes, cook it till mushy. Then add in spice powder along with rock salt. mix well and cook it for 2 mins.
- Add in cleaned goat head parts, add a cup of water. Mix well.
- Cover cooker with lid and pressure cook it on medium heat for 10-15 mins.
- turn off heat. Once air released by itself, open lid and mix curry well. If you it in gravy consistency, boil it on medium heat upto your desired consistency.
- Done. Serve hot with steamed rice, roti, idly or dosa.
- Try to use dry roast and grinded pepper and cumin powder. It will give nice aroma to this curry.
- I added mild spice level because for my son. If you want you can increase the quantity of spice powders.
- If you don’t have kuzhumbu milagai powder, you can add red chilly powder and coriander powder also.
- If you like to cook in pan, cover and cook on medium low heat. it will take time, but taste will be great than pressure cooker.
- add in gingelly oil, give taste to curry.
- Try to add rock salt. If not, can use normal salt also.