Ghee Rice or rice cooked with ghee, is a flavor some rice popular during weddings and special occasions. Cooked with spices and a healthy dose of clarified butter, more commonly known as ghee. So next time you’re preparing a meal, whether for yourself or as a feast for family and friends, try swapping plain rice with some ghee rice instead. The taste and scent of this delicious rice will add a little something special to your meal. Pair it with Yogurt chicken Curry, Chicken Curry with Almonds.
if you are looking for more delicious Rice Recipes, then you can check;
- Tomato Pickle / Thakkali Oorugai / Tomato pickle with garlic
- Capsicum Rice/Capsicum masala Rice/Capsicum Bath
- Semiya Shrimp Briyani/Vermicelli Shrimp biryani
- Jaggery Sambar / Sweet Sambar / Vallam potta sambar
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 2-3
Basmati Rice : 1 cup
Ghee : 3 tbsp (clarified butter)
Onion : 1 small thinly sliced
Green chilly : 2 slit
Ginger : 1 inch Crushed
Cashews : 18-20 pieces
Raisin : 10-15
Fried Onions: 1 tbsp (garnishing) optional
Water : 2 cups
Salt to taste
Spices for ghee rice:
Cinnamon Stick : 1.5 inch
Cardamom : 2-3 pods
Pepper Corns : 1 tsp
Bay leaf : 1
Cloves : 2
- Rinse basmati rice in running water. Soak it for 30 mins. set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker, add in spices. Let them crackle and turns fragrant. Then add in onion, crushed ginger and green chilies. Saute till onion turns golden brown or caramelize.
- Now add in soaked and drained basmati rice. Gently stir the rice so that ghee coats the rice evenly. Then add in 2 cups of water along with required salt. Mix well.
- Cover with lid. Cook for 1 whistle on medium heat. Turn of heat, leave it on stove top for 20 mins. In mean time, heat a tsp of ghee. roast cashews and raisins to golden brown.
- now open the lid, add in roasted cashews and raisins. Fluff the ghee rice gently with the fork.
- Garnish with fried onions (its fully optional). Serve hot with Gravy as you desired.