Yogurt Chicken Curry – The chicken curry from Northern India which is must try for every Indian food lover. This flavorful curry has no sugars, no nuts, no creams but a simple and flavorful Indian mother sauce base made with yogurt, onion, garlic and spices. This is a kinda curry which Indians love to enjoy with homemade whole wheat bread, crispy charred naan, or fresh steamed rice… any day of the week.
Yogurt based curry is, by-far, the most popular and authentic chicken curry of Northern India… where in South, coconut milk or tamarind is used as main substitute for yogurt.
In different regions… few change in spices originate a new kind of Chicken Curry. Like:
1) Addition of tamarind and potatoes and it becomes – Vindaloo
2) cream and it becomes Korma
3) greens instead of turmeric and it becomes saag chicken curry.
4) Lots of chilies and it is Kashmiri Chicken Curry
5) or lots of warm spices and you have the Khara Chicken Curry.
This list is so endless that it will be unfair if I just list one ingredient and say a name of curry
This post I’m dedicating to making a perfect, homemade Indian-style… I mean, North Indian-style chicken curry which is made with thick yogurt, warm spices, chicken, onion, and garlic. The curries you taste in buffets in US are nothing like this home-style curry. This curry is simple and tasty one. I served it with Ghee Rice. Friends pls try this recipe and let me, how it turns out for you.
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves : 4-5
Chicken : 1/2 kg (Bone or boneless)
Yogurt : 3/4 cups
Red chilly powder : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
To Grind :
Onion : 1 small sized
Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup chopped
Coriander Seeds : 1 tbsp
Bay leaf : 1
Cloves : 5-6
Star Anise : 1
Pepper Corns : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Cinnamon Stick : 1 inch
Cardamom : 4
Poppy Seeds : 1 tbsp
Cashews : 6-7 whole cashews
Garlic : 5 nos
Ginger : 1 inch
Green chilly : 2
Marati Moggu : 1
Fennel Seeds : 1 tsp
For Curry :
Onion : 1 small chopped
Tomato : 2 medium sized
Oil : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Kasthuri methi : 1 tsp (dry) (optional)
- Clean and wash chicken. Take chicken, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, yogurt and salt. Mix all together. Marinate this mixture for 2 -4 hours in fridge.
- Take all ingredients to grind in mixed jar. Make a smooth paste set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil. Saute onion for 3 mins. Then add in tomatoes and cook till mushy along with required salt.
- Now add in grounded masala paste. Cook it till oil leaves at edges. Then add in marinated chicken. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 mins or chicken get tenders.
- Stir in between. Oil will float on top of chicken curry once it done. Then add in kasthuri methi (dry). Serve hot as you desired. I served it with Ghee rice.
- Don’t add too much oil. Because oil in chicken more than enough for this curry.
- Atleast minimum 2 hours chicken must marinate in fridge.
- it can serve with flavored rice, naan, roti, parota , idly and dosa with anything.