Like Potato, Raw banana is another yummy vegetable which tastes divine if we shallow fry them. It is one of the traditional varuval or fry variety in most of the South Indian kitchen. Raw banana cooks very fast and for shallow fry we don’t need to use much oil if we use non-stick pan. A hassle free and quick Vazhakkai shallow-fry and would be a nice side dish for most of the of the rice varieties and even with all traditional kuzhambu varieties.
Vazhakkai fry is eaten as a side for rice with Sambar. or Rasam. However it can be served it with Lemon Rice and curd rice or Karuveppilai Sadam/Curry Leaves Rice
Similar Vazhakkai Recipes:
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins
Serves : 3
Vazhakkai/plantain : 1 large
Red chilly powder : 1 – 1 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala powder : 1 tsp
Lemon Juice : 1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to shallow fry : 2-3 tbsp needed
- firstly, peel the skin of raw banana. slice the raw banana to slight thick size.
- Boil water with salt in a sauce pan, once it reaches a boil, add in the banana and cook till the banana is tender.
- Drain it and allow it to cool down. Then add in spice powder along with salt , mix well to coat with vazhakkai.
- Then add in lemon juice, mix well over the raw banana. Let it marinate for 10 mins.
- Heat oil in pan for shallow fry. Add the marinated bananas fry till golden brown on both sides. Serves hot with white rice or variety rice as you desired.