Onion vada is a Kerala cuisine. It is not soft like bajji and not so crispy like pakoras but texture is neutral between both. It is crunchy on outside and soft on inside. Easy to make snack within minutes. You can prepare this snack with limited ingredients already available in your pantry.
These vadas perfectly suits for any climate with a cup of tea. I love the crispy edges of the vadas. The mild sweetness of the onions covered with spicy batter gives a perfect balanced taste.
Check out my other Snacks Recipes:
- Thayir Vadai Recipe- South Indian Curd Vadai
- Maddur Vada/Crispy maddur vade recipe
- Medu vadai/Ulundu Vadai
- Vazhaipoo Vadai/Banana Flowers vadai
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 3-4 mins each batch
Serves : 3-4
Onion : 1/2 kg thinly sliced
Green chilly : 2 finely chopped
Ginger : 1 inch finely chopped
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp finely chopped
Kashmiri chilly powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Gram flour :3/4 cups
Rice flour : 2 tbsp
Baking soda : 1/2 tsp
Oil to deep fry
- In a mixing bowl add sliced onions, green chilli, curry leaves, ginger, cilantro, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder and mix well by your hands..
- You should mix this really well so that the water from the onions start to come out. After mixing this leave it aside for 5 mins.
- Add gram flour & rice flour a spoonful at a time and mix well..This vada don’t need any additional water, the moisture in this onions is enough for making the batter.If you need just sprinkle few drops of batter in this..
- Now heat a tablespoon of oil and pour it in the batter and mix well.This batter should be a think one, so that you can form dumplings out of it.
- Heat oil for deep frying..Make small balls out of this mixture and drop in hot oil.Fry this till golden on a medium heat..
- This will take around 5-10 mins. Now drain this in a paper towel. Serve hot with chutney or as it is.
- I used kashmiri chilli powder for color. If you want, you can add normal red chilly powder and food color too.