Mushroom masala recipe, a popular restaurant style Indian gravy curry served with chapathi, lachcha paratha, pulao, Dosa, Appam, Idiyappam.
I am sharing a comforting and extremely flavorful restaurant style mushroom masala curry that uses simple ingredients. A pretty straight forward recipe that’s easy to make for even newbie cooks or bachelor cooks. In most Indian restaurants you will find that this Indian vegetarian dish is very popular and usually served with butter naan, kulcha, lachcha paratha or any flavored pulao. Its silky creaminess with alluring looks and delectable taste is sure to warm up your soul.
Very few spices go into it and the main secret ingredient that gives the dish its creamy texture is cashew nuts. I cooked cashewnut with onion and tomato and make a paste. If you like you can soak cashews in warm milk and make smooth paste too. Vegans can avoid milk and replace it with normal water or coconut milk. You can serve mushroom masala gravy with chapathi, naan, pulao and biryani. I served it with sponge dosa and it made for an appetizing, warming meal.
Do give mushroom masala curry a try and you are sure to get mesmerized with its delicious taste and the ease of the curry preparation will see you making it quite often in your kitchen. You should be adding this vegetarian delight to your Indian food recipes repertoire! Check out my other recipes sides for tiffin
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20
Serves : 4-5
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Fennel seeds : 1tsp
onion : 1 large chopped
Tomato : 2 large
Green Chilly : 1
Garlic : 5 nos
Ginger : 1 inch
Cashewnuts : 15 -20 pieces
Sugar : 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil : 1 tbsp
To make Mushroom Masala:
Onion : 1 small finely chopped
Mushrooms : 250 gms, cleaned, sliced and blanched for a few secs in hot water
Red chilly Powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tsp
Garam Masala : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder : 1 tsp
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Bayleaf – 1
Cardamom : 3 pods
Cloves : 3
Star Anise : 1
Black Stone/kal paasi : 1
Cinnamon Stick : 1 inch
Oil : 1 tbsp
- Cut the mushroom, clean and blanched in hot water for few seconds, set aside.
- Heat oil in pan, crackle cumin and fennel seeds. Saute onion, green chilly, garlic, ginger, cashews, tomato, sugar and salt one by one.
- Once all cooked allowed it to cool down and make smooth paste.
- For making masala: Heat oil, saute onion for few second. Then add in mushrooms along with spice powders.
- Mix well, then add in ground masala paste. allow it to boil for 5 mins. Then add in pepper powder. mix well
- Garnish it with coriander leaves. Done. Serve hot with as you desire.
Done. Serve it with laccha parata, naan, pulao, appam, dosa, idiyappam etc., I served it with sponge dosa.