I never liked pavakkai / bitter gourd. When my mom used to make pavakkai pitlai or sambar when I was a kid, I used to cry while eating… yes! Its compulsory to eat veggies and we had no choice to say NO to any vegetables cooked. I hate that much. She even does pavakkai varuval, never liked it though
But after marriage my hubby aunty bought pavakkai chips from his native. My MIL told me try this chips. Im not able to escape from that. So, i took only one chips and tried out. Hmmmm really it was awesome. There is no bitterness in that chips. I asked for this chips recipe. She only gave this recipe and i tried out lot of time at my home. Now only planned to share this recipe with you all friends. Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins
Serves : 2-3
Pavakkai/Bitter Gourd : 2 large size
Red Chilly powder : 1 tsp
Garam masala powder : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Curd/yogurt : 1 tbsp
Lemon Juice : 1 tbsp
Besan flour : 2 tbsp
Rice flour : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
- Wash the bittergourd and pat dry. Slice off the top and tail and then cut the bittergourd into thin rings.
- Slice as thin as possible, mainly all should be even in thickness,so that it gets cooked perfect. Take out seeds in the middle of bitter gourd.
- Mix all spices. Then add in curd/yogurt and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Finally add salt with gram and rice flour. Heat oil to deep fry pavakkai.
- Cook in medium heat until the bubbles and sounds ceases. It should be golden in colour and light in weight. Drain in paper towel. Ready to serve.
Once it get golden brown in color and light in weight. Take out from oil and drain in paper towel. Ready to serve.