palak chakli recipe | palak murukku recipe | spinach murukku with step by step photo recipe. There are several variation to the traditional chakli or murukku recipe which completely depends on the types and proportion of flours used. Palak chakli or spinach murukku is one such variety with loads of spinach greens which makes it healthy and tasty too.
A simple green colored spiral savory snack prepared from palak or spinach puree mixed with the besan and rice flour. a healthy snack loved by kids and adults, is a perfect evening munching snack with a cup of Masala Tea/Chai and Dry Ginger Powder Tea/chai
In this recipe i have blanched the palak leaves before making a puree of it. If you dont want to blanched it, u can make puree and add in flour. This is because we are deep frying the palak chakli and deep frying is more than sufficient for the palak puree. Further, i have also added green chillies while preparing the spinach puree. This adds the additional flavour and spice to the palak murukku; however it is completely optional.
Furthermore, some important tips and suggestions for a perfect and crispy mouthwatering palak chakli recipe. Firstly, the critical part of any chakli or murukku recipe is its dough. Do not make it extra soft or extra hard. soft dough would result in oily chakli’s and hard dough would result in brittle. Secondly, the chaklis should be deep fried in medium flame, otherwise it would not cook evenly if deep fried in high flame. Finally, i have added 1 tbsp of butter, but this can be extended extra to 2-3 tsp to make it more tastier and softer.
Finally do visit my other snacks recipes from my blog:
- Moong Dal Murukku/Moong dal Chakli/Pasi paruppu Murukku
- Ribbon pakoda/Ola Pakoda
- Dates fritters / Dates Tempura/ Eathapazham Porichathu
- Mangalore Bajji/Goli Baje/Mangalore Bonda
- Vazhaipoo Vadai/Banana Flowers vadai
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Serves/Yield : 30 Murukku
Rice Flour : 2 cups
Gram Flour : 1/2 cup
Roasted Channa dal/Pottukadalai podi : 2 tbsp
Ajwain/Omam : 1 tsp
Butter : 1 tbsp
Hing/asafoetida : generous pinch
Water : 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
For Spinach Puree:
Palak/Spinach leaves : 1 cup
Green Chilly : 2-3
Water : 1 cup + 2 tbsp to make puree
- Boil a cup of water. Then add in washed spinach. Allow it to boil for 2-3 mins. Strain out water, transfer it to blender along with green chilies. Add 2 tbsp of water, make a puree. Set aside.
2. Then in a wide bowl, take all flours with ajwain/omam and salt.Mix well. Add in ground puree and mix well with flour. Melt butter in 1/4 cup of water.
3. Sprinkle melted butter water and knead a dough without cracks. Dough should not be too tight or soft. I used star shape hole to make murukku.
4. Fill murukku press with prepared dough. Squeeze into murukkus in a greased paper. I did mini version. But you can do regular chakli as well. Be gentle when you invert, careful to not get any hot oil splash.
5. Cook in medium flame until the sound reduces and flip to cook in low flame until the bubbles reduce completely without changing it’s colour. Drain in paper towels. Repeat to finish the dough.