Ragi Kuzhi Paniyaram, an another easy paniyaram recipe made from ragi flour and left over dosa batter. And this ragi kuzhi paniyaram also born on one such occasion. Few months ago, for dinner,i had very little dosa batter and also ran out of rava in my pantry, so as a trial added some ragi flour into it and did the basic tempering and made this paniyaram. To my surprise it turned out so delicious. From that day onwards, this paniyaram was added to our regular menu, i make them often for breakfast or dinner.
The Kuzhi Paniyaram Recipe is a very traditional South Indian breakfast dish, that breaks the monotony of idli’s and dosa’s. The Idli-Dosa batter is used to make the paniyarams. I add ragi flour, that is spiced up with onions, green chillies and seasoned with mustard adding to the flavor. You can make it nutritious by adding grated carrots, pureed tomatoes, chopped spinach or even spring onions and cabbage to give it an Asian touch. Serve Ragi Kuzhi Paniyaram with chutneys
- Restaurant Style Coconut Chutney
- Urad Dal Chutney/Ulutham Paruppu chutney
- Tomato mint chutney
- 5 mins Tomato Chutney
In this recipe, I have used the ragi flour and dosa batter, that adds more nutrition making it a perfect dish for a wholesome breakfast or packed for a kids school lunch box.
Here are a healthy South Indian Breakfast ideas to try
- Godhumai Rava Upma/Samba Rava Upma/Wheat Rava Upma Recipe
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Serves : 2-3
Dosa Batter : 1 & 1/2 cups
Ragi Flour- 3/4 cup
Onion(small) – 1
Oil – 1 tsp + for greasing
Mustard & Urad dal – 1/4 tsp
Green chilly : 2 finely chopped
Coriander leaves – few
Salt – to taste
- Chop onion, coriander leaves, green chillies, set aside. Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard and urad dal. Then add in chopped onion, coriander leaves and green chillies. Cook it till light brown in color.
2. Then add this in idli dosa batter with ragi flour. Mix it well, all to combine well. Add in required salt too.3. Heat the paniyaram pan, add few drops of oil in each hole. Pour the batter into 3/4 of the each hole and let it cook for few mins, then gently flip the paniyaram with the wooden stick and cook on other side for few more mins,then remove it from the pan, do the same for the remaining batter.
Tada, Your healthy & tasty paniyaram is ready.Serve with chutney and/or sambar.
- If the dosa batter is already watery,then you wouldn’t need extra water to make the batter.
- Dosa batter already have salt in it, so while adding salt be careful, it may not be needed much.
- If you wish,you can roast cashews pieces and add it along with onions.
- Sour dosa batter works well for this paniyaram.
- If the dosa batter doesn’t have much sourness, add few tsp of sour curd.