From Jigarthanda to Muttaiparotta and Karidosai, Madurai’s food inventions make it a favourite destination, especially for those who love spicy food.
Madurai, a town in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu, is noted for its mild dishes, of which this chicken recipe is typical. The ingredients list may seem rather long, but the dish is in fact very simple to make.
Madurai Chicken RoastMadurai being the third largest city in Tamil Nadu is famous for many historical places and for their unique culinary style. Few of their famous recipes include Paruthi paal, jigarthanda, panangkarkandu paal and chettinadu varieties like appam, kuzhi paniyaram, etc. Tasty, lip smacking food with a sure droolworthy eyecatching platters are not for the faint hearted. You will find many aromatic recipes that are sure to tickle your tastebuds.
Last time when i travel to madurai, i tried this chicken roast at one of my relative house. Recently i got this recipe from my friend’s friend, who is madurai girl. I tried and came out very well. So like to share here with you friends. This you can make it as kuzhumbu or gravy consistency too. But i want it to roast nicely.
Check other chicken Recipes:
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 30- 35 mins
Serves : 3-4
Chicken : 1/2 Kg (with bones)
Onion : 1 chopped
Tomato : 1 large chopped
Ginger Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
Curry leaves : 1 spring
Oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
To Roast And Grind:
Red chilly Dry : 3-4 (adjust to your spice level)
Coriander Seeds : 1 tbsp
Pepper corns : 1 tsp
Raw Rice : 1 tsp
Coconut grated : 1 tsp
Cloves/lavangam : 3-4
Roasted gram dhal/pottukadalai : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds : 1 tsp
Cinnamon Stick : 2 inches
- Clean and cut the chicken to bite size pieces and keep it aside. Dry roast the given ingredients given to a golden color or till the aroma comes out. Grind it to a fine paste and set it aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add in chopped onion, curry leaves. cook it till golden brown. Then add in ginger garlic paste, cook till raw smell leaves.
3. Now add in chopped tomato, cook it to mushy.
4. At last add in cleaned chicken with turmeric powder, ground masala paste and required salt. Cover and cook it till done. Add oil in between till chicken got roast.
Done. You can serve it with rasam, sambar or with briyani too. Enjoy. Happy Weekend….
- If you like to have it gravy or kuzhumbu consistency. Add some water and cook.
- If you want to roast it, allow it to cook in chicken water itself.
- Keep heat on low-medium, add oil in between, to roast well.