Channa masala or Chole masala is a classic Indian Vegetarian dish prepared with Kabuli channa (garbanzo beans ).It is a fantastic side dish for chapati, bhatura and pooris .It is my family’s favorite. Today let us see how to make this simple Channa Masala recipe-(Kabuli Channa)-Chole masala following this easy recipe.
This Channa Masala recipe is very easy to make and Channa Masala gravy is an ideal side dish for chapathi. For this gravy we need to soak the konda kadalai (chick peas) for 8 hours prior to start of the recipe. This soaking helps the chickpeas to cook easily.
This channa masala can also be served with chapathi, poori, roti, parotta etc. In order to thicken the gravy I smashed some of the chickpeas and added them back to the gravy this thickens it. Also to obtain a smooth texture I ground the onions and tomatoes after sauteing them. But this is optional and you can proceed with the recipe without grinding it.
Friends please do try this awesome Channa masala gravy at home and serve it with some soft chapathi. Also please do share your feedback about the recipe in the comments below.
Check Similar Recipes:
Soaking Time : 8 hours Prep Time : 10 mins
Cooking Time : 20 mins Serves : 3-4
Channa (white)/Kondai kadalai : 1 cup
Onion : 1 large
Tomato : 2 large sliced
Garlic : 4-5
Ginger : 1 inch
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Coriander Powder : 1 tbsp
Garam Masala Powder : 1 tbsp
Cumin powder : 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Dry Mango powder : 1 tsp
Oil : 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
Cardamon : 3
Cinnamon Stick : 1 inch
Bay leaf : 1
Cloves : 2
- Soak channa overnight and pressure cook channa with a little salt for 4-5 whistles. Channa should be soft.
- Cut all veggies and take all spice powder ready. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Saute onion, ginger, garlic for 3 mins. Then add in spice powders, saute it till raw smell leaves.
- Then add in sliced tomatoes with required salt. Cook till mushy. Allow it to cool completely.
5. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan. Temper in tempering ingredients. Then add in ground paste.
6. Allow it cook for 3 mins. Then add in cooked channa, mix well to coat it masala.
7. Once done, lightly press channa here and there with a smasher. Garnish it with coriander leaves. Serve it with soft chappati, batura, and poori.