Solanum trilobatum is commonly known as Thuthuvalai in Tamil. In English, it is called as Purple fruited pea egg plant. Many people all over the world is not aware of purple-fruited pea eggplant. It is most beneficial and has medicinal values. Thuthuvalai has more thorns in its leaves. We need to clean it carefully as it thorns are sharp.
At my MIL house, she planted lot of herbs in garden. Thuthuvalai is one of the herb. When we visited to chennai, my MIL make this rasam for us. So i just clicked it out to post here.
During winter season children often becomes ill with cold, cough and flu. That time we can dry these leaves, make it as powder in mixie. Use this powder in a glass of milk to get rid of cold and cough. We can mix this powder with honey and can eat in empty stomach also.
Some of the beneficial uses are:
- It is a very good medicine for curing Asthma and respiratory disorder.
- Prevents throat infection,relief from cold and flu.
- Helps to increase hemoglobin level in human body.
- Leaves helps to reduce heat and gas related disorders.
- Promotes immune system in our body.
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins
Serves : 3-4
Tamarind Extract : 1 cup
Tomato : 1
Cooked Toor Dal : 1/4 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves : for garnishing
Black pepper : 1/2 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Red chilly : 2 nos
Garlic : 4 pods
Curry leaves : few
Thutuvalai leaves : 10
Oil : 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Hing : a generous pinch
- Take the fresh leaves and remove the thorns and wash them thoroughly. In a mixie, add black pepper,cumin seeds,red chillies,Garlic and grind together to make a coarse powder. Then add washed thuthuvalai and grind coarsely, set aside.
2. Mash tomato using hands, add it with tamarind extract. Mix this coarsely grinded powder too. Set aside. Heat pan, temper with tempering ingredients. Then add tamarind mixture, along with cooked toor dal and salt. Add required water and allow it to cook until the foam forms on surface of the rasam .
Thuthuvalai Rasam ready. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with steamed white rice or you can drink as soup too.