Instant jalebi | homemade crispy jalebi recipe with step by step photo. Jalebi come under top 10 popular sweet from the indian cuisine. jalebis was born in the north and has become famous all over India. Basically, jalebi is prepared with a fermented jalebi batter, however, this recipe is instant version of jalebi. Instant basically means the fast process that can be completed within minutes with no overnight waiting time. The jalebis are sweets having crispy, chewy texture with a crystallized sugary coating. You can enjoy this hot or cold as a dessert.
Serves : 15 -20 Jalebis
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Maida/All purpose flour : 1 cup
Baking Soda : 1/2 tsp
Food color : 1/8 tsp (Any color, i took orange color)
Yogurt/Curd : 2 tbsp
Water : 1/2 cup or as required
Ghee : 1 tbsp
Oil for deep fry
For Sugar Syrup:
Sugar : 1 cup
Water : 1/4 cup
Rose water : 1/2 tsp
Cardamon powder : 1/4 tsp
Lemon Juice : 1/2 tbsp
Making Jalebis batter or mix:
- You should have the ingredients ready now. Take a bowl. add in flour, baking soda,food color and yogur. Scrumble them, and then gradually add the water. whisk it to a smooth batter, let it rest for 10 mins. (Batter should be pouring consistency, like bajji batter)
Making Sugar Syrup:
Take sugar and water in a sauce pan. Allow it boil nicely on high heat. Add in rose water and cardamon powder. It should be cooked until it achieves 1 string consistency.
- To measure 1 string consistency: Take small amount of syrup in a spoon and use your index finger and thumb to pick a drop. If you see 1 string, the Sugar syrup is ready else it would need another 1-2 minute on stove. Turn off heat, add in 1/2 tbsp of lemon juice, mix well.
Getting Jalebi Frying Pan Ready:
4. Heat oil and ghee in pan. You can use the small bottles which look like tomato ketchup dispensing bottles or zip lock bag or a milk plastic bag to fill Jalebi batter. I used Zip lock bag only. Take one glass, put one egde of zip lock bag. Pour some batter into it. Take it twist like a mehandi cone, make a 5 mm cut on one of its corners.
5. Roll your hand slowly and dispense the Jalebi batter in hot Oil. It would be a bit difficult to make any specific design in the first go. You will learn it with experience. Try to roll your hand in a way that a circle is completed and then keep adding more circles around the primary circle.
6. Let if fry to golden brown in color. Flip it over. It will take only 3 mins to cook 1 jalebi. Take it from oil and dip it sugar syrup for about 1 or 2 mins to absorb juice as it can.
Done. Serve hot or cold as your wish. I like it hot. Try and let me know me how it turns out. Happy eating.