I prepare tomato rice in two ways. I have already posted Tomato Rice long time back, this version is slightly differ than my earlier version. Call this tomato pulao or biryani or bhath or South Indian style tomato rice. You can pair it up with a simple raita/pachadi or just have it with potato chips. It is great for packed lunch also.
Serves : 2
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Basmati Rice : 1 cup
Onion : 1 small size sliced
Tomato : 2 large Chopped
Ginger Garlic paste : 2 tbsp
Green Chilies : 3 slit
Garam Masala : 1 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
Water : 1 cup
Warm Milk : 1/2 cup (optional)
Salt to taste
Oil+ghee : 3 tbsp
Cardamon : 2
Cinnamon : 1 stick
Cloves : 2
- Soak basmati rice for at least 30 mins. Chop tomatoes finely, slice onion and slit green chilies. Heat a pressure cooker with oil,ghee and temper with cardamon, cinnamon and cloves. Add in onion and green chilies, fry till it turns golden brown in color. Then add ginger garlic paste, cook for 2 mins.
2. Now add chopped tomatoes with turmeric powder and salt. Cook till mushy. Add garam masala, cook it for a while.
3. Drain the soaked rice and add it. Fry for a minute, add 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk. Bring to boil and pressure cook until 2 whistles in low heat.
Serve with raita or potato chips.
- You can also add 8- 10 mint leaves while you fry onion.
- You can add green peas, if you like it.
- You can add red chilly powder, reduce green chilies count.