This is one of my favorite dish with idly or idiyappam. My mom used to do this dish monthly once or twice. After we came to US, one day i made this thakkali kurma. On that day my hubby became addicted to this dish. This is a simple kurma made using tomatoes and it is super easy to make and taste delicious with idiyappam, or any tiffin items. Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you..
Serves : 2-3
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Onion : 1 small size chopped
Tomato : 3 medium size chopped
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Shredded Coconut : 1/2 cup
Pottu kadalai/ Fried gram dal : 2 tbsp
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Poppy seeds : 1 tsp
Green Chilly : 3-4 (Adjust to spice level)
Oil : 1 tbsp
Cloves : 2
Cardamon : 2
Cinnamon Stick : 1 inch
- Heat a kadai with oil. Temper with cinnamon, cardamon and cloves. Add finely chopped onion and fry till transparent. Add finely chopped tomatoes with turmeric powder and salt. Fry until it becomes mushy.
2. Then grind coconut, fried gram dal,green chilies, poppy seeds and fennel with little water to a fine paste. Add the ground paste once tomatoes got cooked with a cup of water and boil for 4-5 minutes. Adjust water consistency if it is too thick.
Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve it with idiyappam, idly or with any tiffin items. Below with dosa.
- Adjust water level to your required consistency.
- If you dont want to add green chilies, reduce and you can add sambar powder too.
- For more taste, you can add 2-3 cashews while grinding a ground paste.