Medu vadai/ Urad dal vada/Ulundu vadai is a famous South indian snacks cum breakfast recipe especially in Tamil nadu. We generally make medu vadai for festivals or for guests. My mom used to make vadais with a piece of banana leaf or a polythene cover, for making shape of vadai. Some Tips and tricks to make crispy vada below. My mom used to grind some raw rice while grinding urad dal. But here i used rice flour. You can serve in with sambar or with Pudina Chutney with Coconut.
Serves : 20 – 25 medium sized vada Soaking time : 2 hours
Prep time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Urad Dal : 1 cup
Onion : 1 small sized chopped
Green chilly : 2 finely chopped
Ginger : 1 inch finely chopped
Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp chopped
Rice Flour : 2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Hing/Asafoetida : 3 pinch
Water to grind batter
Oil to deep fry
- Soak urad dal for 2 hour at least. (Use whole urad dal without skin).
- Grind urad dal with only little water till fluffy. Grind little by little urad dal in mixie without water.
3. See how the batter should be. I took it in spatula, it should not drop from it. Now chop onions,ginger,green chilies and coriander leaves and add all these to the batter along with rice flour, salt and asafoetida.
4. Now mix well, keep aside and heat enough oil in kadai. I used ziplock cover. Spread some water on ziplock on the top. Take a batter in a small size. Keep it on cover, press little on top and make hole in the middle of batter.
5. And take it in your hand, drop it on hot oil. Fry in medium heat, turn the vadais and fry till both the sides turn crisp and golden brown.
Serve hot with sambar, Coconut Chutney
TIPS & TRICKS TO MAKE CRISPY VADA:
When you are grinding the batter using grinder,do stand nearby.U have to spend 12-15 minutes near the grinder by sprinkling water and wiping the sides every now & then which is most important. DO NOT ADD SALT WHILE GRINDING.Add salt just before frying the vada.
Never pour all the water at a stretch.Just add little water every 2-3 minutes by wiping the sides of grinder with a spatula.Batter should not get stuck in the sides.
Vada batter should not be too light & airy.It should be tight to hold.If the batter is too light,vada will absorb more oil.
Also the batter should be non-sticky when u touch it by dipping your hands in water.
Keep the batter covered in refrigerator till use.Add salt & onions only before frying the vada. Beat the batter before frying to provide aeration which is very important to get crispy,light vadas. Then add onions and other spices.
If your vadai drinks so much oil,then it means you have added more water,reduce next time. Try adding any one of the following only one tsp to reduce vadai drinking oil-gram flour or Maida/all purpose flour.
Do not soak more than 3 hrs max. If it is delayed, keep the urad dal in fridge until you grind.
While grinding mixie, certain things you need to consider for perfect vadais.
a)Good quality urad dal for more quantity of vadai.
b)After soaking urad dal for 2-3 hours, I refrigerate for an hour. This gives fluffy batter, more volume and easy to shape.
Never add salt while grinding. Also dont grind for too long, your batter will become pasty and cannot shape.
If your vadais are hard, they are not soft. You can add a pinch of cooking soda.