Semiya payasam or vermicelli kheer is a Indian Dessert, which prepared with roasted vermicelli with milk and nuts. Normally we used to prepare payasam on special occasion or if we invited guests for home. This payasam i prepared on Tamil New year’s Special. This is very simple and tasty payasam, this is mom method of making payasam. My family, neighbours and relative, just love my mom’s payasam that much. Here you go. Try and let know your comments.
Serves : 5-6
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 20 mins
Semiya/Vermicelli : 1 cup
Milk : 6 cups
Sugar : 1/2 (adjust to taste)
Elechi powder : 1/4 tsp
Food color : 1/2 tsp (optional)
Cashews : 10
Chironji/Sara paruppu : 2 tsp
Ghee : 2 tbsp
- Heat ghee in a pan, fry cashew and sara paruppu to golden brown in color. Set aside. In a same pan, roast vermicelli in Medium-low heat to golden brown here and there. Transfer it to a plate.
2. Add 6 cups of milk in a pan, allow in to nice boil. Add food color and elachi powder. Once its started boiling, add in roasted semiya, cook it until soft. Then add sugar, mix well. Boil it for 2-3 mins and add in roasted cashews and sara paruppu too.
Serve Payasam hot or cold. I love hot payasam. Enjoy….
- You can add rose water also, but skip elachi powder.
- If you are using whole milk, add 4 cups of milk and 2 cups of water.
- For more taste, you can add condensed milk or cashew powder to payasam.
- Some people like to have payasam in babana leaf. If means reduce milk amount. This is a spoonable payasam.