Ennai Kathirikkai Fry is a delicious South Indian delicacy served as a side dish with rice items. I got this recipe from Chef Dhamu’s recipe book long back. I planned to give a try for a long time, at last made it. Because my hubby dont like brinjal that much. Im a brinjal lover. Brinjal is rich in iron, fibre and vitamins. Brinjal is one of the low calorie vegetable when it comes with antioxidants, magnesium but it takes a lot of oil.
Serves : 3-4
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Sesame oil : 2 tsp
Brinjal : 8
Green Chilly : 2
To Dry Roast and Grind:
Red Chilly : 2
Channa Dal : 4 tsp
Urad Dal : 4 tsp
Coriander Seeds : 4 tsp
Pepper Corns : 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to make paste
- Wash brinjals, cut like flower blossoms on back side of each brinjal and check for any worms. Also do not remove the whole stem on the top of brinjal, put them in water.
- Heat a pan, roast items given in the list “dry roast and grind”. Transfer a grinded powder in a bowl, mix it with a oil to make a paste consistency as shown in pic below. (Add salt while grinding)
3. Now fill this stuffing inside the brinjals as needed and keep the remaining masala paste aside. Heat oil in a pan, add slit green chilies. Then add stuffed brinjal along with remaining masala. Add little bit of water, cover with lid and cook brinjals over medium or low heat, continue stirring until it is well cooked both inside and outside.
Serve it with curd rice, coconut rice, Bisibelebath.
- If you dont like fry brinjal, you can make gravy with onion and tomato, cook brinjals as in recipe.
- You may increase or decrease the number of dry red chillies as per your spice level.
- Sesame oil is must for this recipe, because it gives nice flavor and aroma
- Choose baby brinjals, I used small purple brinjals.