Before marriage we used to buy kuzhi paniyaram from snacks shop. My MIL only thought me how to make kuzhi paniyaram after my marriage. Now this is one of my favorite dish. whenever we have some sour idli batter, we will either make uthappam or this paniyaram. Or bored with same idly and dosa, this is best alternate using idly batter.
Serves : 3-4
Prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 5 mins each batch
Idly batter : 2 cups
Oil for making paniyaram
Oil : 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds : 1 tsp
Urad Dal : 1 tsp
Onion : 1 medium size chopped
Green chilly : 2 chopped
Ginger : 1 tbsp finely chopped
Hing/Asafoetida : a pinch
Coriander leaves : a handful chopped finely
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan, add in mustard and urad dal. Let them Crack. Add hing, onions, green chilies, ginger and coriander leaves with salt. Saute it to color change.
2. Add this to ready idly batter with turmeric powder. Mix well. Set aside.
3. Heat a kuzhi paniyaram pan with some oil. Pour batter in and cook on low flame till it crisp up a little. Now flip over and cook.
serve it with coconut or kara chutney.
- If you like to add grated veggies, you can add.
- If it is hard, you can add a pinch of cooking soda in batter.