Moong dal murukku – Here i used cooked moong dal to make murukku. Most used moong dal powder to make murukku. But for me it is easy method to make chakli easy. This is my MIL recipe, as i said before she is an expert in making indian snacks. My hubby loves indian snacks very much. After my marriage only i tried murukku. I felt very hard to make murukku. So my MIL gave this recipe and make my work easy.
It is very easy to press murukku. Because moong dal already cooked nicely as a paste. With moong dal paste, mixing rice flour make as a dough and press with help of murukku press. Let you try and let me know how it is easy and turns out.
Serves : 25-30 murukku
Prep Time : 20 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Moong dal : 1/2 Cup
Water : 1 cup (to cook Moong dal)
Water : 1/2 cup (To make a dough)
Rice Flour : 2 cups
Sesame Seeds : 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds : 1 tsp
Ghee/Butter : 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
Cooking Moong Dal :
- Take moong dal in a pressure cooker. Wash it in running water and add a cup of water. Pressure cook it for 2 whistles on medium high heat. Once air released open and press it with a ladle to smooth, set aside.
- Take all ingredients in a wide bowl. If you are taking butter, melt it. First mix all ingredients, sprinkle water little by little and make it smooth stiff dough.
2. Take a murukku press, i choose 3 holes. You can make as you wish. Fill it with the prepared dough. Heat oil in kadai , meanwhile press murukku in a wax paper or in cover or in back of ladle also.
3. Press murukku once, dont over do on it. Press edge slightly and take carefully, put it in oil for deep fry on medium heat. Cook both sides till the ‘Shhh’ sound ceases and murukku turn golden in colour. Drain in paper towel and cool down completely before storing them in airtight containers.
1. Make sure you keep the dough covered through out to avaoid drying of the dough.
- If you kept excess water while cooking moong dal, filter it and used that water to make a dough.