This is quite different recipe. How it is different? Normally we will dust fish with bread crumbs or some mixture of masala and then fry. But here i dry roast dal and spices, make a coarse powder, dust fish in that and fried in oil. While frying fish, you will get nice aroma around your house. I got this recipe from my mom’s kitchen diary. She note it from a TV show a decades back. You can try this recipe with any fish, not only vanjaram fish. I tried it 3-4 times, turns out great. So like to share it to you today.
Serves : 3-4 Marinade Time : 2 hours
Prep Time : 20 mins Cooking Time : 10 mins each batch
King fish/Vanjaram Meen : 4 pieces
Red chilly Powder : 2 tsp
Coriander Powder : 4 tsp
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Lemon juice : 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
Dry roast and make coarse powder:
Pepper Corns : 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds : 2 tsp
Channa Dal : 1 tbsp
Urad Dal : 1tbsp
Dry Red chilly : 2
Curry Leaves : 1 spring
- Mix fish with turmeric powder and wash in fresh water for 3-4 times. Pat dry fish with kitchen towel. Check there should not excess water in fish. Set a side.
- Mix red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt with lemon juice. Make a paste form. Apply this paste to fish, allow it to marinade for 2 hours.
3. In mean time, dry roast Channa, urad dal, mustard seeds, red chilly, pepper corns, curry leaves to golden brown in color. Allow it to cool down and make a coarse powder.
4. Take marinaded fish, dust it in a coarse powder. Heat oil for shallow fry in a pan, fry fish to golden brown in color both sides.
Done. Serve hot with onions.
- After apply masala and dusted with coarse masala powder, you can freeze fish up to 1-2 weeks.
- Make sure tawa it before frying in oil.
- Dont forget to mob or pat dry excess water in fish.