Vada Curry is a very famous South Indian curry which is served as a side dish for idli, dosa. Mom used to do vada curry at home, we all loved it. But here this recipe is one my friend, who shared her recipe. Some of my friends request personally to post vada curry. So i give a try and sharing vada curry here.
Serves : 4 -5
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking time : 30 mins
Channa Dal/Kadala paruppu : 1 cup
Onion : 1 Medium size chopped
Tomato : 3 medium size chopped
Mint Leaves : Few
Coriander Leaves : for garnishing
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Oil : 3 tbsp
Salt to taste
Coconut Milk : 1 cup
Green Chilly : 2
Dry red chilly : 2
Fennel Seed : 1 tbsp
Garlic : 6
Ginger : 1 inch
Cardamon : 5
cloves : 5
Cinnamon Stick : 2 inch
- Soak channa dal for 3 -4 hours. Drain it, add it to a blender and grind little coarse. Do not add water
2. Take all ingredients to grind in to blender, make a smooth paste. set a side.
3. Now mix some salt, coriander leaves and 1 tsp ground paste to a coarsely grinded channa dal. Heat oil for deep frying. drop small dollops of this mix and fry till golden. Remove it to paper towel, set a side.
4. Then heat oil a pan, add onion saute it for couple of mins. Then add in tomatoes, salt and turmeric powder. Cook it till get mushy. Add in mint leaves and rest ground masala paste in to it and mix well.
5. Then add a cup of coconut milk, give a boil for 5 mins. And add fried vada’s into gravy. Cover and cook for until vada get soft and gravy to combine with vada for 5 mins on medium heat.
Done. Garnish with coriander leaves, serve it with idly or dosa.
- You can add some water if you feel gravy is thick or add some more coconut milk too.
- Can increase chilies as per your spicy tolerance. Because i didnt add chilly powder, only green and red chilies for spicy level.