Sura puttu is my favorite dish. This is my mom recipe again. Sura puttu is very good for breast feeding mothers, to increase a breast milk. This is an easy way to make kids to eat a fish like puttu form. You can prepare it with any fish fillets, but shark fish only gives an exact taste to fish puttu. There is two kind of sura, 1. Paal sura and 2. Buffalo skin sura. Paal sura will give soft fillet after you cooked. In Buffalo sura you will get less fillets and rough skin too. So take care while buying sura from stores.
Prep Time : 15 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Shark fish : 500 gms
Onion : 500 gms Chopped
Garlic : 15 Chopped finely
Ginger : 2 inch chopped finely
Green chilly : 2 chopped
Coriander leaves : handful chopped
Turmeric powder : 2 tsp
Kuzhambu milagai podi : 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds : 1 tsp
Oil as required
Salt to taste
- Clean and wash fish. Boil water in a pan with 1 tsp of turmeric powder. Allow shark fish to cook in boiling water till it gets cook and opaque.
- Carefully remove fish from water, allow it to cool completely. Separate the meat from the skin and bones. Scramble it with your fingers. Mix it with salt, turmeric powder and kuzhambu milagai podi with scrambled fish, set aside.
3. Start chopping onions, garlic, ginger, coriander leaves and green chilies. Heat oil in a skillet or heavy bottom pan, crack some mustard seeds. Then add chopped ingredients.
4. Once onion turns golden brown, add scrambled fish fillet, toss well. Keep on medium low heat to cook evenly. Cook until shark fillet to turn golden brown in color.
Serve it with white rice, sambar and rasam. You can simply mix with white rice also.
- Adding equal amount of onion, will make puttu flavorful.
- Before scrambling fish fillet, squeeze out excess water, it will make puttu in dry consistency.
- If you cook sura with water, it will take long time to cook with water or it will be in sticky consistency.