Here is a plate of mixed vegetable briyani for you. This is of such easy, tasty and flavorful veg briyani. For a long time im hunting for the restaurant style veg briyani and finally got it. The secret of briyani is there freshly grounded masala and spices. So give this a try and let me know how it turned out for you..
Serves : 4 Soaking Time : 30 mins
Prep Time : 10 mins Cooking Time : 30 mins
Basmati Rice : 2 cups
Water : 3 cups
Oil : 2 tbsp
Ghee : 3 tbsp
Bay leave : 1
Onion : 1 medium size sliced
Tomato : 3 chopped
Green Chilly : 2 slits
Vegetables : 2 cups (i took potato, carrot and peas) cut into cubes
Mint leaves : 1/2 cup chopped
Turmeric powder : 1 tsp
Red chilly powder : 1 tsp
Curd : 2 tbsp
salt to taste
Cinnamon sticks : 4 inch
Green chilly : 2
Cashews : 10 nos
Fennel seeds : 2 tsp
Star anise : 1
Cloves : 15 nos
Garlic : 15
Ginger : 1 inch
- Wash and soak rice in lots of water for 30 mins. Take the grinding ingredients in a blender and make it into a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil and ghee in a pot or pressure cooker. Add in bay leaf and fry for 30 sec. Add in sliced onions and green chilies, saute till it is brown. Then add in tomatoes, cook it for 3 mins.
3. Add ground masala and saute for 2 mins till raw smell leaves from it. Now add cubed veggies, mint leaves and toss it well with masala.
4. Then add turmeric, red chilly powder and salt. cook for 2 mins. Now add curd, mix, cover and cook for 5 mins.
5. Pour in water, bring it to boil. Add in soaked drained rice and mix well. Keep on medium heat, cover and cook 50 % of rice. Then cover pot with aluminium foil paper and put tight lid, cook for 10 mins. Turn off heat and rest it for 20 mins.
6. Then remove lid and foil paper, fluff it off. Serve hot with raita or with chip
- You can add any veggies as you wish. You dont like to put in dum, you can cook it in pressure cooker on medium heat and leave 3 whistle.