Millets are called as sirudhaniyam in tamil and are quite popular in tamilnadu. Why we have not included in our daily diet like we include rice, vegetables, meat and stuff like that. Answer is most of people don’t know how to cook, and how the taste will be. Actually millet are very taste and healthy food. So, here i like to share thinai/foxtail millet idly. Hope you will give a try and stay healthy. Some health benefits of thinai rice below.
Health Benefits Of Foxtail Millets
- It is good to control diabetics (Controls Blood Sugar Level)
- Keeps your digestive tract clean
- Reducing Heart Attack Risk
- High in Anti-Oxidants
- Helps in weight loss
- Reduces gastric problems
Serves : 5 -6 / soaking Time : 5-6 hours / Fermentation Time : 6 -8hours
Prep Time : 10 Mins Cooking Time : 10 mins per batch
Urad Dal : 1/2 cup
Thinai/foxtail rice : 1 cup
Idly rice/normal rice : 1 cup
Fenugreek Seeds : 1 tsp
Poha/Cooked rice : 1/2 cup
Salt to taste
- Wash all ingredients for 3 times in lots of water. Soak urad, rices and poha with fenugreek seeds seperately for 5-6 hours.
2. Now take a blender and add urad dal. Grind it till fluffy and foamy. Transfer them to a large bowl.
3. Now in the same blender add poha with fenugreek, grind it for 3 mins. Then add rice in to it and grind them till they are smooth. Add water slowly while grinding them.
4. Pour them to the same bowl where you have urad dal mix. Add salt and mix well. Now cover them and leave to ferment for 6 – 8 hours. Once they are fermented, give one final mix.
5. Grease idli plates with oil. pour small ladleful of batter in it and steam for 7 to 10 mins. Once steamed, remove each idly with a spoon and serve it with a chutney or sambar as you wish.
Keep in mind, idly will be little denser, because it is made of by millets. Eat healthy and stay healthy.