Paya is a traditional South Asian food. It is also served at various festivals and treated to special guests and people who get together. Paya means feet in Hindi and Urdu. Here we are going to have a look in goat feet recipe. My mom is expert in making this paya chops and parota. All of my friends and relative like this recipe. So, here im going to share her recipe in this link. And some of health benefits of paya below. Try it and let me know how it turns out.
- It Helps with Arthritis and Joint Pain.
- Is an Inexpensive Protein Source.
- Help Repair Gum Damage.
- Fights inflammation.
Prep Time : 30 mins Cooking Time : one hour
Paya/Mutton Legs : 750 Gms / 9 Big leg pieces
Onions : 1 kg finely Chopped
Shallots : 250 gms
Tomato : 4
Garlic : 15 sliced
Ginger : 1 inch chopped
Red chilly powder : 2 tsp
Garam Masala : 3 tsp
Jaggery Powder : 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Dry Roast and Make a powder:
Pepper corns : 2 tbsp
Coriander seeds : 4 tbsp
Cumin seeds : 6 tbsp
Oil : 6 tsp
Bay leave : 1
Cardamom Pods : 5
Cloves : 5
Cinnamon Stick : 1
Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
Star Anise : 1
- First start with chopping onions, garlic and ginger. Peeling skin of shallots. Clean paya. Set a side.
2. Heat oil in a pan, then add shallots. Saute it till golden brown, set a side. Again add oil and tempering ingredients. Once sizzled, add chopped onions, garlic, ginger saute for 10 mins on medium heat.
3. In mean time, grind shallots once its cool down. Add it with onion, again saute it for 10 mins. It will turn golden in color. Make tomato puree, add it to cooked onions, saute it up to raw smell leaves.
4. Time to add red chilly, garam masala, coriander, cumin, pepper powders and salt, mix and saute it for a while. Then add water and jaggery powder.
5. Transfer it to pressure cooker and add paya (leg pieces), mix well. Taste it before closing. Cover it with a lid. Cook on medium high heat. After one whistle keep on medium heat, cook it for 40 mins at max.
After air settled, open a lid, oil will bloat at top. See pic. Enjoy it with idly, appam, parota, poori.
1. If you not able to chop all onions, cut 1/2 kg onions and 1/2 kg make puree like shallots.
- Dry roasted spice powder will give taste and aroma to the paya.