Hyderabadi Biryani is a popular variety of Briyani. The Hyderabadi Biryani is so named as it is seen mainly in the city of Hyderabad, India. The blending of Mughalai and Andhra cuisines in the kitchen of the Nizam, resulted in a dish called the Hyderabad Biryani. Mostly this kind of briyani will be layered (dum) briyani, means first layer yogurt marinated meat and cooked rice with spices. Tightly covered and cook in flame. Lets have a look in briyani.
Serves : 4-5 Marinating : 1 hour
Prep Time : 25 mins Cooking time :40 mins
(For marinating Shrimp)
Shrimp/Prawns : 350 gms
Yogurt/curd : 2/3 cup
Oil : 1 cup
Lemon juice : 1tbsp
Coriander powder : 1tsp
Cumin powder : 1tsp
Turmeric Powder : 1 tsp
Briyani Masala Homemade : 3 tsp
Red chilly powder : 2 tsp
Salt to taste
Ginger Garlic paste : 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 1/4 cup Chopped
Mint : 1/4 cup chopped
Fried Onions for briyani : 1/4 cup
For Cooking Rice:
Basmati Rice : 500 gms/2 cups
Water : 750 ml/ 3 and 1/4 cups
Briyani Masala Homemade : 2 tsp
Bay Leaves : 2
Oil : 2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
For Layering Briyani:
Fried Onions for briyani : 1/2 cup
Briyani Masala Homemade : 1/8 cup
Coriander Leaves : 1/4 cup chopped
Mint leaves : 1/4 cup chopped
Kesar Color : 1tsp
Milk : 2 tsb
Rose Water : 1 tbsp
Cashew and Raisin : 15 each (optional)
Ghee : 5 tsp
Heavy duty Aluminium foil (for covering a briyani pot)
- Clean shrimp, wash and add ingredients for marination. Mix all ingredients and cover it. Allow it to marinade in refrigerator for an hour.
2. Soak basmati rice for 30 mins. Then Start boiling water with briyani masala, oil, bay leave and cumin seeds on medium high heat. Once water start boiling, add soaked rice and salt. Cover, cook on medium heat for 5 mins. Rice will be cooked for 60% , again cover with lid, keep in low heat, cook for 3 mins and turn of heat.
3. If u see the rice, there will not any water and rice will be cooked for 85%.
4. Time to start layering briyani. Keep a pot on a stove on low heat. Add marinated shrimp, continue layering cooked basmati rice, briyani masala, coriander leaves, mints, fried onions.
5. Again continue layering cooked rice with briyani masala, coriander leaves, mints, fried onions, rose water, ghee, kesar color with milk.
6. Now time to cover and cook briyani. Cover a pot with heavy duty foil and put lid, fold excess foil in a pot as in pic.7. cook on medium heat for 10mins and 10mins on very low heat. Rest on stove for 20 mins without disturbing. Now time to open a lid, add fried cashews and raisins with ghee and fluff it. Serve with raita with any accompaniments.
- Cooking basmati rice with briyani masala, will give nice flavor to briyani.
- Cooking basmati rice with required water, will keep bastami rice aroma to briyani. I dont like straining water from cooked rice.