Appam is a type of pancake made with fermented rice batter and coconut milk. It is a common food in the South Indian state of Kerala. We mostly prepare two type of batter, once with crispy edge appam and soft and spongy appam batter.Here we are going to see crispy edged appam. I like appam with coconut milk and chicken kurma. And egg appam too. To making appam batter its fermentation is important. If its not fermented, appam will not come properly. Ok let see appam recipe.
Serves : 5-6 Appams : 20-22 nos
Prep Time : 12 hours Cooking Time : 5mins per appam
Ingredients for making appam batter:
Raw Rice : 1.5 cups
Idly Rice : 1.5 cups
Urad Dal :1/8 cup
Cooked Rice/poha : 1/4 cup
Methi seeds : 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Baking Soda : 1 tsp
- Soak rices and urad dal with methi seeds separately. If u adding poha, soak it with urad itself. Soak all for 3- 4 hours.
- Then first grind urad dal, methi seeds,poha for 30 mins with 1/2 glass of water to smooth form. And add soaked rices, grind till smooth batter.
- Now add required salt, mix batter well. allow it ferment over night or 8 hours.
- Time for making appams. Batter should be little watery, than idly batter.5. Then heat appam chetty, in 2 laddle of batter in the middle of chetty. see the pics how to rotate batter in chetty. Close it with lid, allow in to cook on medium heat for 5mins. Edges will be brown in color and crispy.
1. Add baking soda while making appam. Take required batter in a pan, mix with baking soda.