Kichadi is a common South Indian, Maharastrian and Sri Lankan Tamils’ breakfast dish, cooked as a thick porridge from dry roast semolina or coarse rice flour. Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual preferences. These days, it is popular in most parts of India and is prepared in various ways.
Serves : 3 -4
Prep Time : 10 mins cooking time : 15 mins
Semolina/Rava : 1.5 cups
Onion : 1 Thinsly sliced
Tomato : 2 Finely chopped
Ginger : 1/2 inch Thinly sliced
Garlic : 10 nos Thinly sliced
Curry leaves : 10 leaves
Green Chily : 2 slit
Oil : 3 tsp
Ghee : 3 tsp
Water : 6 cups
Turmeric powder : 1tsp
Whole Garam Masalas : (1inch cinnamon, 2 cardomom, 2 gloves, 1 star anise, fennel seed 1tsp and Bay leave 1)
salt to taste
- First start chopping onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chilies set a side. Then, in a pan or kadai dry roast rava with 1tsp ghee.
2. In a pan take oil and ghee. Then throw in whole garam masalas, wait to crack. And add sliced ingredients saute till golden brown, then goes in tomatoes and turmeric powder saute it upto mushy.
3. Then add water and salt. Give a nice boil to it on high flame. Once it start boiling bring to low heat, then start adding rava slowly by mixing water wihout lumps.
4.Mix upto water observe and switch off stove. serve hot with chutney.
- If u like to vegetables, u can add too.
- adding vegetables means, add lemon juice few drops to enhance taste of kichadi.