Pongal is a popular rice dish in Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh , Telungana and Srilanka. Venn (Old Tamil word for white) pongal is a popular dish in South Indian homes and is typically served as a special breakfast in parts of South India, especially Tamil Nadu.
Serves : 2
prep Time : 5 mins Cooking Time : 15 mins
Moong dal : 1/2 cup
Raw rice : 1 cup
water : 5 cups
ginger : 1/2 inch (finely chopped)
Green chillies : 2 (finely chopped)
whole pepper : 1 tsp
Cumin/jeera : 1tsp
cashews : 15 nos
Ghee : 4tsp
Oil : 3 tsp
curry Leaves : one string
salt to taste
Hing : 1/2 tsp
- First wash and soak the rice and moong dal in a bowl for 10 mins. Mean while chop ginger and green chillies, set a side.
- In a pressure cooker, pour oil. once oil get heat, put chopped green chilies, ginger, pepper, cumin, hing and curry leaves.
3. Once it cracked, add water and salt in to it. Wait for a nice boil. Then add soaked rice and dal in cooker. Mix once with spoon.
4. Cover cooker with lid, keep in high heat. Once air comes, put a weight. Wait a whistle,
then keep in medium heat wait for 3 whistle or for 5 mins.
5. Mean time in a kadai, add ghee and cashews, fry till golden brown. If pressure got settled, open the lid add fried cashews and mix well. Done. Serve hot with chutney, sambar or ghotsu.
- If u want, u can add jeeraga samba rice also. It will add more taste to pongal.
- while opening lid pongal will looks likelittle watery kind only. Once it cool down, it will look like hotel or kalyana pongal.